Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

audio issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audio issues

In my 02 z28 im having some issues with my speakers all sounding muffled. I have a pioneeravh p4400bh head unit, kicker 6.5s in the front door, audiopipe midbass subs in the sails, and audiobahn 4in murdered out series speakers in the rear hatch. running stock monsoon amp to power them all, eventually plan on adding a subthump ttop box. I cant turn the headunit up past 23 without the speakers sounding like they are blown, ive turned the bass down on the head unit and i can turn it up alot more, but then it sounds like therr is no midrange. Do you guys think ots the speakers or do i have another issue? I was thinking about ordering the kee audio level 2 package, but im a huge audiophile and would love to have the loudest system i can have without replacing the monsoon amp, i know if i do replace it it woukd sound better but id prefer not to. Any help is appreciated guys thanks
Old 12-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Nobody has Any ideas?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

How high is 23 on the overall scale? The Monsoon amp produces only about 30 watts RMS per channel into eight channels. If you are expecting "threshold of pain" volume, you are using the wrong amp. Replacing speakers or HU won't change that.

I can get mine loud enough (without distortion) that I basically have to shout to converse with a passenger. Any louder than that is not "audiophile" - it's foolish.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Teching In

23 is under halfway up on the scale, i can talk normal volume level over it. Not very loud at all. If i could get a video of the distortion i would, but you cant reallt hear it on a video.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Next step would be to double check the speaker wiring. Things to look for include out-of-phase (left speaker wired opposite of right speaker), DVC subs not wired with the voice coils in parallel, and door speakers wired backward (tweeter and mid pairs reversed).
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Checked all my wiring and it's all correct as per the wiring diagram in the sticky at the top of the page. I just dont understand why it.sounds muffled at half.volume, ive never run into this in all the years ive installed car audio, this is the first car ive had problems with. Only thing i can think is to try the cdt setup, maybe?

Quick Reply: audio issues