Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

LS1 stock monsoon and alarm question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default LS1 stock monsoon and alarm question

so i've got my 98 ta with stock tape deck monsoon with 10 disc changer. changer doesn't work, so i found a CD monsoon one. my question is if i swap them out, will my key fob still work or will it have to be re programmed? also, will i be able to use my disc changer?
Thanks in advance and Happy New Years!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The CD head unit will work and will not affect your keyless entry or alarm system in any way - unlike many newer GM models, your audio system is not connected to either of those systems.

Whether or not the changer will work depends on what year the CD head unit came from. All tape head units supported the external changer but only 2000 and newer CD head units support a changer. (Actually, the update was made in late '99 but you have to open up the head unit to determine if a '99 will work with the changer.)
Old 01-02-2013, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The CD head unit will work and will not affect your keyless entry or alarm system in any way - unlike many newer GM models, your audio system is not connected to either of those systems.

Whether or not the changer will work depends on what year the CD head unit came from. All tape head units supported the external changer but only 2000 and newer CD head units support a changer. (Actually, the update was made in late '99 but you have to open up the head unit to determine if a '99 will work with the changer.)
okay great... do u know why u need to take out the fuze for radio when programming new key fob? that's why i thought radio and key fod are connected.
Thanks
Old 01-03-2013, 06:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The RADIO fuse is powered from the Body Control Module (BCM) via the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit. Removing the RADIO fuse is not related to the radio specifically - it is used as a signal to the BCM which contains both the keyless entry circuit and the optional factory alarm "brains".
Old 01-05-2013, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

okay great thanks for all the info bud!

Quick Reply: LS1 stock monsoon and alarm question