General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

5.3 Flooded

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 Flooded

I have a 2001 5.3 engine that won't run with fuel pump powered up constant, it floods and dies. It is returning fuel to tank and has 58psi of fuel pressure. Can anyone tell me what else to check? Injectors all have good cone spray, none appear to be sticking open.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Teching In

How do you know its flooding out? What is it in? Sorry, but the reason this has been the only reply is because you haven't given enough info.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need more info
Old 12-29-2012, 07:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are the plugs wet ?pull a plug and see if it has spark .mite have a bad crank sensor.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Teching In

I just did'nt know what all you might need to know. But it's a 2001 5.3 swap I had my pcm flashed and done my own harness from the info on the site. It will start and run if you hold it wide open after the the fuel pump has primed the motor then when it starts to lean out it sounds smooth but the second you power up the fuel pump it starts loading up blowing black smoke out the headers and once it gets past that burst of fuel it smooths out again if you power the fuel pump up all the time with it running it will load up and die. my plugs are black but not totally fouled. I dont have my O2 sensors in and dont have maf hooked up yet I was hoping to just make sure it ran good first if possible. I'm new to these engine as computer controlled anything is not my thing. I hope this helps. THANKS.

Thanks guys I think I figured it out, I had a bad ECT. It seems to run good for now.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Could be several things, but sounds like a leaking injector(s) or a bad fuel pressure regulator that is dumping extra fuel into the engine. I would remove the bolts holding the fuel injectors down raise the fuel injectors so you can see the bottom of all the injectors, then turn the key to the Key On Engine Off position, this will run the fuel pump and if the injectors are leaking then you will see which one or ones it is. If they remain dry, then replace them and bolt the rail back down. More diagnosis on your fuel system will be required to fix this, so do some trouble shooting and post your results.

tia

andy schuck

Quick Reply: 5.3 Flooded