Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Founders 3 Piece Poly Joint

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Founders 3 Piece Poly Joint

Is this joint worth the extra 20$ for a street driven car being that it offers more articulation? Or should i just stick with solid poly?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Massd
Is this joint worth the extra 20$ for a street driven car being that it offers more articulation? Or should i just stick with solid poly?
If all you care about is driving in a strait line, then poly is "fine". If you care about ride quality and handling at all then look into either solid 1LE bushings for the stock LCA's or UMI rotojoint.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
If all you care about is driving in a strait line, then poly is "fine". If you care about ride quality and handling at all then look into either solid 1LE bushings for the stock LCA's or UMI rotojoint.
Isnt the Roto Joint basically the same design as the 3 piece poly joint? The roto joint is out of my budget
Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 3-piece poly and they articulate to a large degree but are still firm. My main concern was that they dont have a grease fitting, but they say re-greasing is not necessary. When you assemble them, the grease and 3 pieces form an insane vacuum inside the ends so im not worried about it.

I noticed zero harshness increase in daily driving, when added to my Bilstein/BMR spring setup. The car was already hell on bumpy roads and on smooth surfaces it's a dream.

I wish they made the 3piece poly for front lower control arms, I would buy them in a second.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by enyo
I have the 3-piece poly and they articulate to a large degree but are still firm. My main concern was that they dont have a grease fitting, but they say re-greasing is not necessary. When you assemble them, the grease and 3 pieces form an insane vacuum inside the ends so im not worried about it.

I noticed zero harshness increase in daily driving, when added to my Bilstein/BMR spring setup. The car was already hell on bumpy roads and on smooth surfaces it's a dream.

I wish they made the 3piece poly for front lower control arms, I would buy them in a second.
Awesome looks like I'm going with those, thank you
Old 01-09-2013, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by enyo

Agreed on the front control arms. If someone made the poly joint for the caster bushing, I would be incredibly happy.

I've been looking into these control arms myself. The design has been around for ages, just took a bit for them to be applied to F-bodies.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

I think im ordering them tonight!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd grease them about every 4 months.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I'd grease them about every 4 months.
How they dont have fittings
Old 01-10-2013, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Remove them, an install a grease zerk, then grind down any of the zerk that protrudes on the inside. That's how I did a set of J&M LCAs I had with the poly ball.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

wow awesome, thankyou!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Would be a good question for Founders why they don't have a grease fitting on them.

I still would like to see a direct comparison of roto joint vs poly joint vs rubber for handling and ride comfort. I'm guessing it is something like rubber > poly joint > roto joint for ride comfort for example, and the opposite for handling, but how much of a difference between each one?

I need to buy stuff for my car this year and I only want to make purchases once. I don't have money to just buy something, decide it isn't right, and buy something else, etc. I'd rather get the right part for me the first time.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

not really that noticeable with the metal bushing. I didn't buy a Cadillac though lol.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 PM
FormerVendor

LS1Tech 10 Year

We don't install grease fittings on these for several reasons. We supply a specially designed water proof grease with the arms and we have found if you use the grease properly you should never need to re-grease them. Second reason is when the bushing assembly is installed the grease has no paths to allow for proper grease flow, we have also discovered the manual pumping grease guns when hydro locked tend to spike up to around 10,000 psi and will destroy any bushing in its path.

For those of you who are comparing our poly-joint to the roto-joint I would recommend looking at our pivot-joint instead.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Forgot about that one.

So here's a question for you - which one would you recommend for a street driven car to be set up more towards handling than drag, but daily driven? I'm thinking the 3 piece poly would be a good happy medium between articulation and comfort. Swivel joint is more performance oriented at the sacrifice of comfort. Would you agree or would you suggest something else?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Wow well than i wont be needing to grease them, i ordered the 3 piece on car adjustable lcas and a no car adjustable pan hard from founders. should be here soon ill post pictures and write a review on how the car feels. Adjustment wise should i just center the tire in the wheel well?

Quick Reply: Founders 3 Piece Poly Joint