Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no OD on 4l60e???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no OD on 4l60e???

i added my yank ss 4,000 stall everything was just fine in trans....once back together after rebuild its like it lost OD.....all other gears are good....could it be vacuum or a selinoid...
Old 01-11-2013, 09:35 AM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

When you say you "lost OD", do you mean 4th gear or do you mean that the lockup-clutch does not engage. (I've seen this mixed up in other posts.)

If you do mean 4th gear, I would double-check that the shift-linkage didn't get misadjusted.
If you only mean that the lockup-clutch doesn't engage, was the o-ring on the input shaft installed and in good condition. (Correct me if the o-ring is not related to this.)

And of course I assume the trans is not in limp mode and that you installed the electrical connector.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 AM

it shifts from 3rd to "OD" but i would say clutch doesnt engage...its like neutral i would say...no limp mode....and i didnt do the work a small shop did now guys retired....no limp mode...
Old 01-11-2013, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Few things that come that mind if it neutrals instead of shifting into 4th.

First is the 4th servo. It shouldnt neutral if the the 4th servo is not working unless it has a horrendous fluid leak and is allowing line pressure to drop enough that it disengages either the 3-4 clutch or the forward clutch or both.

Also possibly blown gasket on the seperator plate by the accumulator or maybe the 3-4 accumulator piston was left out, damaged or installed incorrectly.. I have never left an accumulator piston out to see what it did but in theory it should also mess up 3rd gear as well if the piston was left out so thats not real likely..
Old 01-11-2013, 03:13 PM

Oh, I thought you only installed the converter, not that you rebuilt the trans.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:34 PM

both i had converter put in and had the trans rebuilt..
Old 01-11-2013, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by carlsonauto
Few things that come that mind if it neutrals instead of shifting into 4th.

First is the 4th servo. It shouldnt neutral if the the 4th servo is not working unless it has a horrendous fluid leak and is allowing line pressure to drop enough that it disengages either the 3-4 clutch or the forward clutch or both.

Also possibly blown gasket on the seperator plate by the accumulator or maybe the 3-4 accumulator piston was left out, damaged or installed incorrectly.. I have never left an accumulator piston out to see what it did but in theory it should also mess up 3rd gear as well if the piston was left out so thats not real likely..

theres no leaks whatsoever on car...maybe something was left out....3rd is strong its pretty hopped up so if the trans was going bad id know i put the ol girl through her paces every now and then
Old 01-12-2013, 12:24 AM
Teching In

Does the fluid smell burnt? Sounds like there is a problem with 3-4 clutch, accmulator problem or servo problem. Hook up a pressure gauge and test drive before you start throwing any parts at it. Check Line pressure in D@ idle and at a full stall .Record the readings and drive the vehicle and see if you see a pressure drop while it makes a 2-3 and 3-4 upshift.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by hondaxrider2005r
theres no leaks whatsoever on car...maybe something was left out....3rd is strong its pretty hopped up so if the trans was going bad id know i put the ol girl through her paces every now and then
Carsonauto is referring to a leak within the servo, which you would not see. For example, if the seal for the 4th gear servo had a major leak, 3rd gear would be fine, but the trans would stay in 3rd gear and never fully shift into 4th.

I don't know if the servo is easy to remove in your car; but new seals for the servo are barely $5.
You can also test the 4th gear servo by only removing the pan. Just within the pan gasket under the servo you will see the 4th servo drain hole. With a compressed air in a rubber-tipped blow gun, apply pressure to the hole and the servo should firmly apply the band. You can see the band move a bit and with a screwdriver determine if it is firmly applied.

As 08GXPLS4 suggests, knowing the line pressure is hugely useful for diagnosing any problems. A pressure gauge is only $45 on ebay.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:51 AM

prolly check this spring....see if i can figure it out

Quick Reply: no OD on 4l60e???