Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Article on new Displacement on Demand (DOD) in PHR

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Article on new Displacement on Demand (DOD) in PHR

A good informative article with details.According to article DOD will not make it into the C6, GTO or CTS-V, but will be delegated to utility duties in SUV's.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...0405phr_gmdod/
Old 04-16-2004, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

"The Ranier and any other non-DOD applications currently getting a 5.3L LM7 will still benefit from the non-DOD version of the LH6, which will replace the LM7. The LH6's freer-flowing LS6 cylinder heads, oiling system upgrades and ignition system upgrades beat the outgoing LM7 to deliver 290hp and 325 lb.-ft. of torque (in both DOD and non-DOD form). It's also worth noting that the upgrade to LS6 heads required a new piston to meet program requirements for compression and power. Strangely enough, that leaves only the GTO in the GM V-8 line-up as having the older, lesser-flowing heads of the LS1 (since LQ4, LQ9, LS6, LH6 and LS2 all have some variant of the improved LS6 head). GM, can we have the LS6 head for the GTO in the 2005 model?"

Everybody's getting LS6 heads!!!! Yeah, flood the market!!! More for us.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good info. One thing I find rather funny right now is Chrysler. I am looking at the new 300C that is coming next year(yeah, I would love to have a full sized, American styled 4 door again...I am sick and tired of small Jap designs in this arena, I'm 6'5") and it has the Hemi with Chrsler's version of DOD. According to all the mag articles I have here on the vehicle, the system is seemless and works out very good. What is interesting is that two of the articles state you cannot tell by exhaust note or performance the change from V8 to V4 operation....I think GM may actually be BEHIND on the engineering aspect of this and Chrysler may actually have a better system(I offer the qoute that the DOD won't be offered in the C6 due to the ability to tell it is on 4 cylinders when the DOD is active, something about resonance or exhaust note).

Todd
Old 04-16-2004, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Does this mean that the price of LS6 heads will come down?
And do heads affect smog(sorry for the hi-jack)?