New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy Trans Am...a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy Trans Am...a few questions.

Hi all. Hope im posting this in the right place, if not i appologize.

Im about to buy my first Trans am. Been obsessed with them for years and the wife finally approved it lol. Im about to go check out 2, a 2001 and a 1999. Both 6 speeds both with just at 120k miles. Are there any particular things i need to look for on the cars that are perhaps prone to going out? Also... What is a good way to test the clutch in them. The last thing i want happening is 2 weeks after i buy the car the clutch or transmission goes out. Had the tranny go on my last lt1 camaro after about a month of driving. Not trying to go through anything like that again. Any help or advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Just check normal wear items, hows it idle? Leak anything? Drive it around for awhile, park it and talk to the seller for awhile (give it time to start leaking something) and take a look under it to see if its leaking at all, check floor pans for rust, any spots that looks like it could have been wrecked. As far as the clutch, im not 100% sure but ive always just put the car in a higher than normal gear like 4th/5th at a stop and started going, that should tell you pretty quick if the clutch will slip or not. Also maybe check the oil and the coolant to see if all looks normal, just pretty much basic used, high mileage car stuff
Old 01-31-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think to test a clutch. Put it in 5th at a stop and dump it. It should die fast. If it takes a couple seconds It's probably slipping. Amirite?

Also I agree with blackbird on anything else.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:42 PM
Teching In

So put it in 4th or 5th and try to take off. If the clutch is good it should stall...if the rpms rise and the car does nothing the clutch is shot? How many rpms should i be at when doing this?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let go of the wheel slightly at speed and start applying the brake. If the steering wheel shutters/shakes the front rotors could need to be turned or replaced. Happened when I test drove my T/A. After buying it I took it to good brake shop and the front rotors were to worn too turn and had to be replaced. Between the front rotors being replaced, them turning the rears and replacing all the brake pads + labor and tax it came in at a little over $500.

Also, I've been being a stickler about tires when shopping for a car. Nothing sucks more than buying a car, then having to drop $800-$1000 on tires shortly after. Tires were fairly worn on a recent car we bought and I got the seller to chip in a few hundred after the final price agreement to help pay for new tires when the time came.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

go up to about 45, in 5th, and floor it. if the RPMs surge without much acceleration, the clutch is slipping. or do it at 70-75 in 6th.
And as always, check for gear whine and use it as a negotiation point.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if both cars are in ok condition get the 01,it will have a ls6 intake and better rod bolts.01 had no egr to remove.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Leave the car in gear with the clutch pushed in and the car on. Lightly rev the motor. The car should not try to rock forwards. Side to side is ok just not forward.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Let go of the wheel slightly at speed and start applying the brake. If the steering wheel shutters/shakes the front rotors could need to be turned or replaced. Happened when I test drove my T/A. After buying it I took it to good brake shop and the front rotors were to worn too turn and had to be replaced. Between the front rotors being replaced, them turning the rears and replacing all the brake pads + labor and tax it came in at a little over $500.

Also, I've been being a stickler about tires when shopping for a car. Nothing sucks more than buying a car, then having to drop $800-$1000 on tires shortly after. Tires were fairly worn on a recent car we bought and I got the seller to chip in a few hundred after the final price agreement to help pay for new tires when the time came.
I am shocked you paid someone to do your breaks. After reading your threads or watching your instal vids. But yes op check breaks as well
Old 02-01-2013, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ds98formula
Leave the car in gear with the clutch pushed in and the car on. Lightly rev the motor. The car should not try to rock forwards. Side to side is ok just not forward.
Very good advice, I completely forgot about that.

Originally Posted by ds98formula
I am shocked you paid someone to do your breaks. After reading your threads or watching your instal vids. But yes op check breaks as well
At the time I had come to a point where I was just tired of doing stuff myself. As easy as it is to do brakes, I was rolling in the dough at the time and just wanted to throw the money at someone and have them do all the wrenching while I sat on my couch having a cold beer and watching football. It was pretty nice as I usually do all my own work, nice change of scenery rolling up a few hours later and it being all done and I didn't have to lift a finger.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Ill more than likely be going with the 99 because i just found out the 01 has a salvaged title. The 99 has 119k miles, ps longtube headers, magnaflow exhaust and 4.10 gears. Int and ext are in great shape...she could just use a good cleaning to get her sparkling good again.

As soon as i can break away from work ill be going out to drive it. If all goes well and im satisfied...ill be bringing her home.

Heres pics of the two. The one with the racing stripes is the 01. The solid black is the 99.
Attached Thumbnails About to buy Trans Am...a few questions.-screenshot_2013-01-25-16-57-38.jpg   About to buy Trans Am...a few questions.-screenshot_2013-01-30-13-44-11.jpg  
Old 02-02-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Very good advice, I completely forgot about that.

At the time I had come to a point where I was just tired of doing stuff myself. As easy as it is to do brakes, I was rolling in the dough at the time and just wanted to throw the money at someone and have them do all the wrenching while I sat on my couch having a cold beer and watching football. It was pretty nice as I usually do all my own work, nice change of scenery rolling up a few hours later and it being all done and I didn't have to lift a finger.
I hear you on that lol

Originally Posted by v3n0m
Ill more than likely be going with the 99 because i just found out the 01 has a salvaged title. The 99 has 119k miles, ps longtube headers, magnaflow exhaust and 4.10 gears. Int and ext are in great shape...she could just use a good cleaning to get her sparkling good again.

As soon as i can break away from work ill be going out to drive it. If all goes well and im satisfied...ill be bringing her home.

Heres pics of the two. The one with the racing stripes is the 01. The solid black is the 99.
What the asking price on both? salvage title can mean couple diffrent things. take a tape measure with you. Measure from center of back wheel to center of front wheel on both sides. they should be with in .25 inch of each other. If not most likly has fram damage. Is the 01 stock? The 99 pending on price sounds like a good deal with easy mods already done to it.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Banned

Might sound strange but you could ask the owner to let you or them take it to a local dealer and it checked over for problems. Might not be fool proof way of doing it but at least you will get a unbiased opinion for around 100 dollars.

I'll tell ya whats tough is EVERY car i've ever bought had some kind of problem shortly after I bought it. Its just impossible to test-try everything in such a way thats you are sure its in good shape. I recently bought a used camaro that seemed in great shape but after a few thous miles started knocking.

Last edited by O2Form; 02-02-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Teching In

The pricenon the 01 is 6995...he said hed negotiate on the price. The 99 is 7500...but the guys brother told me that if i whip out 65-6600 cash in his face hed most likely let it ride. Seems like the better deal to me. And saves me from buying headers, exhaust, and 4.10s.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I would go with the 99

Quick Reply: About to buy Trans Am...a few questions.