Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Doesnt feel like my clutch is grabbing Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doesnt feel like my clutch is grabbing Help!!

Like the title says, my car doesnt feel like the clutch is grabbing on acceleration. The pedal still feels good and firm but the clutch fluid was low, so I filled it up and it helped a little bit but still not grabbing like it used to. So my thought is that there might be air in the system and I need to bleed the system. Does that sound about right? If so, how much of a pain is it to bleed the system? Thanks in advance for the help!

-Nate
Old 02-02-2013, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nfellman
Like the title says, my car doesnt feel like the clutch is grabbing on acceleration. The pedal still feels good and firm but the clutch fluid was low, so I filled it up and it helped a little bit but still not grabbing like it used to. So my thought is that there might be air in the system and I need to bleed the system. Does that sound about right? If so, how much of a pain is it to bleed the system? Thanks in advance for the help!

-Nate
How many miles on the clutch? Air in the lines would more likely cause poor shifting. A slipping clutch is the result ofworn or damaged/burnt parts
Old 02-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Im not sure when the previous owner replaced the clutch. I just emailed him so I am hoping to hear back from him soon. I thought it was the clutch as well but my buddy who was going to help me said that the pedal felt fine but now I have a feeling he was incorrect...
Old 02-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have ya did the clutch rev ?that will tell ya if its the clutch
Old 02-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Im not sure what the clutch rev is but I did two tests which make me pretty sure it was the clutch. driving 50mph in 5th gear hit the gas and the rpms went up but car didnt. Second test put the car in 2nd with hand brake up and let clutch out and car still ran.

So it looks like I will be dropping the trans... anyone in AZ willing to help out on this? I can buy beer and pizza haha!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:49 AM
FormerVendor

If you can let the clutch out, with the car in gear, and not stall/lurch and the care keeps running then you are are looking at a clutch that is worn out. Let me know what kind of usage the car sees and the amount of torque you are making and I will be happy to provide a recommendation. I have provided the link to our LS1 assemblies (the second set of parts listed on the link below). Thanks

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/1998/Single

Quick Reply: Doesnt feel like my clutch is grabbing Help!!