LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New 355 will be fired up today

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New 355 will be fired up today

Well it has been a long, frustrating and expensive two months.

Recap: I purchased a 97 30th Anniversary Hardtop through consignment for 7,501.00 in August. It is a hardtop, 6 speed, 70K miles. SLP options were Hurst Shifter and SLP Dual/Dual exhaust. It also had a off-road Y-pipe for Stock Manifolds. It has the full White Leather. I was stationed in Germany and preparing for 9 months in Afghanistan.

I bought it in Memphis and shipped it to Tick Performance who offered free military storage. I originally intended to do a GEN IV LSX swap into the car while I was deployed. Shortly after I deployed, my wife informed me she was pregnant with our 2nd child and wished to return to the States near family in Florida. Being that it was 1,600.00 to ship her Car from Bavaria to Florida and would take around 30-45 days to arrive, we decided she would drive the 97 SS since it was stateside while I was gone. I had a few thousand dollars put away in my fun money account for starting the LSX swap. Instead, we decided to delay building an engine for a few years and enjoy the LT1. Her move back home also cost us several thousand dollars. My wife hated my ORY on my 99 Z28 so I put a catted Y on it for her and my sons comfort. She asked for me to fix the cats. I had Tick install new Kooks 1 3/4" LTs with the Catted Ypipe this December before it would be transported to Florida. During the install, they informed me the car had a slight "miss". We paid for new plugs and plug wires in hope that the miss would be resolved. At this point, the car flat out wouldn't start and So a new GM replacement Opti was ordered and installed. 3,500.00 dollars later, the car was declared ready to go, and transport was arranged for shipment to Florida. A family friend of my Father-in-law hauls cars up and down I-95. He agreed to stop by Tick and pick up the Camaro. He delivered it the next morning to my wife, now settled in a new apartment in Florida.

http://imageshack.us/a/img442/7885/1997ss.jpg

A few days later, she attempted to drive it to the DMV to register the car and pay sales tax. I was on the phone with her when she started it. She said it was rattling and vibrating funny. I told her it was probably just the headers. I just assumed she was over reacting. The car threw a rod 100 yards down the road in 3rd gear. The Rod cracked at the midway point and the crack ran from dead center up to the piston, effectively separating the Rod into 3 pieces. The bolts were fine. Somehow, someway, this caused the Camshaft to temporarily seize, resulting in several pistons striking valves. The seizure also sheared the bolts on the cam that connected to the Cam sprocket clean off. The crank suffered minor damage, the block suffered minor damage, 5 Pistons had dents, 1 Piston was cracked and the Oil Pan was damaged. It was in for a total rebuild.

I contacted Tick Performance and the Transport Driver. Tick once more stated the car was in fine working order and absolved any knowledge of a problem or cause of damage. The Transport Driver said that it was very cold the morning he picked the car up and as he drove it on the hauler, it was vibrating and shaking abnormally at delivery. He didn't think to call my wife or Father-in-law which I regret and he was not aware of what repairs the car received or may have needed.

Well one of three things had to have happened but regardless I was screwed. 1. TICK caused or was at minimum aware of a problem and failed to report it before the car was transported. 2. The family friend of my Father-in-law who has taken annual trips to the Bahamas with him for going on 20 years pulled my car off the hauler and managed to damage it sometime between the morning he picked it up in North Carolina and the following morning at 7:30 am when he dropped it off. 3. By absolutely incredible bad luck, my pregnant wife with our 15 month old son in his new car seat just happened to be driving it for the first time when Bam..Engine gone within eye sight of the driveway.

The engine is now put together at the cost of an additional 4,000 dollars and re-installed in the car. The block was honed to .30 over, new hypereutectic pistons, stock rods and refurbished crank. New valves with a 3 angle valve job and blending of the combustion chamber by a Machinist with 20 years of SBC experience. A new Crane stealth grind cam shaft with Comp 918 springs/ retainers locks. Cloyes chain, new sprockets, new oil pan, new H/F oil pump and improved pick up. Basically a stock rebuild with a few added perks.

In summary, since August, I bought a 7,500 dollar car and have put 7,500 into it and it's still mostly stock. I still need to tune it and fix the front right wheel which is reported to be craked from the inner lip to midway across the section...sigh. I pray it starts without issue. My wife has self declared she hates the car now and any future major mods to include my planned interior re-finish are now very much on hold.

Last edited by Scoobie; 02-08-2013 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Added a Picture
Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy hell man, all I can say is good luck with it.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:58 AM
On The Tree

Im guessing the reason you arent going radical with it is because of your kids?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HarleyZ28
Im guessing the reason you arent going radical with it is because of your kids?
I was fooling around with the idea of Selling my 99 Z28 in a few years when I left Germany. I always wanted a 30th Ann. Car and so I pulled the trigger on it so that when it would be "done", I could ship it to Germany and sell the Z28. I'll be in Germany until 2015. The Mild build is a result of running out of money to mess with cars and yes, the fact my wife will be driving it for a few months as her primary vehicle.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

I can understand that. It just sucks that you couldnt have went with a ***** out build already having it tore down.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do not let it sit around and idle. Take it right out and accelerate & decelerate it several times, between 2000 & 5000. Then some WOT blasts to 5000/6000, what ever you have room for. If it's not where you can drive it right away, let it sit until you can. People don't seem to believe how important this is for Mac power. Worry about making recordings of your new cam until the rings are seated.

Good luck
Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scoobie, Hopefully things work out great from here on out. I'm sure you'll have a great time with it when you get home.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Do not let it sit around and idle. Take it right out and accelerate & decelerate it several times, between 2000 & 5000. Then some WOT blasts to 5000/6000, what ever you have room for. If it's not where you can drive it right away, let it sit until you can. People don't seem to believe how important this is for Mac power. Worry about making recordings of your new cam until the rings are seated.

Good luck
This^^^^^^^^^
Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've given my wife these same instructions already. She is prepared to do it. She drove our 07 Z06 from Washington to Missouri. She's very good with faster cars. Ed, are you still tuning? If so, do you have a 97 PCM laying around. That's my next move and I'm ready.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:25 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes sir, I am. I'll have to look Should have one.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ed, hit me up on a PM if you do and are willing. Much Thanks!

Quick Reply: New 355 will be fired up today