Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Axxess ASWC volume changes spontaneously

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Axxess ASWC volume changes spontaneously

When I had a Metra Axxess ASWC steering wheel control hooked up in my car, the volume would increase and decrease spontaneously a few times, every time I was in the car. Some of the times, my hands were not even on the steering wheel. The volume does not spontaneously change now that the ASWC is disconnected.

Is the problem most likely that the steering wheel control needs to be replaced? I haven't called Metra about it yet, but I haven't seen or heard this happening elsewhere. I tried auto-programming and manual programming on the ASWC and both had the same result with the volume changing. The wiring all looks pretty good. I soldered the wires correctly, for the power, ground, and the wire from the factory harness for the steering wheel controls, and wrapped them in electric tape.

Last edited by NeoLoco; 02-13-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cheap solution, call metra and see what they say, possibly warranty of out. If that doesn't fix it then it would be your controls.

Another option is take a volt meter with ohm readings and hook it up to the wire and monitor it without the metra adapter. I had this happen to a buddy of mine, just take the positive lead and electric tape it to the wire and ground the negative lead and just watch the controls. Turned out he had a bad button on the play causing his head unit to stay shut off
Old 02-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the tip on how to check the steering wheel controls. With the Metra Axxess disconnected, and the multimeter lead on the steering wheel controls wire (on the factory harness) there should be no change in ohms when the steering wheel controls are not pushed, right? And if the ohms do change without the steering wheel control buttons being pushed, then it is the steering wheel control, not the Metra Axxess, right?

I talked to Metra and they said it may be a bad unit, and I can get a warranty replacement if I want. After not having the steering wheel controls hooked up the last few days, I think that I like it better without them.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NeoLoco
Thanks for the tip on how to check the steering wheel controls. With the Metra Axxess disconnected, and the multimeter lead on the steering wheel controls wire (on the factory harness) there should be no change in ohms when the steering wheel controls are not pushed, right? And if the ohms do change without the steering wheel control buttons being pushed, then it is the steering wheel control, not the Metra Axxess, right?

I talked to Metra and they said it may be a bad unit, and I can get a warranty replacement if I want. After not having the steering wheel controls hooked up the last few days, I think that I like it better without them.
Correct my good sir, your ohms should remain constant till the button is pushed.

If you do get a variation in ohms without the button being pressed then you could have a bad button. its not common for the buttons to go bad from what I understand.

First week of me having the controls and even still occasionally I will catch myself hitting the buttons by random either doing an open hand turn or bumping them. Sucks when its a really good song and you and your friends are jamming lol
Old 02-17-2013, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Cool. Thanks again for the tip. I'll probably check it out for my own knowledge even if I don't hook it up again.

Yeah, it's weird having the steering wheel controls after not using them with my old radio for so long. It sucks not having preset up/down on the swc, since my head unit doesn't do that, I can't program the swc to do that, and trying to seek up/down with swc through 100 channels on satellite radio is weak.

I hear ya about accidentally hitting the buttons. I like to and I ain't got time for dat when I'm in the zone.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:52 AM
Staging Lane

Mine have done that a couple times, happened when I turned sharp, and its like they got stuck because I couldn't turn it down. I had to power off the unit and then I was able to turn them down.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What I'd honestly do is warrenty it out since you have one, if it doesn't work then we.know.where the issue lies

Quick Reply: Axxess ASWC volume changes spontaneously