Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

High beams work about half the time..

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High beams work about half the time..

So I replaced both headlights, those slyvanias or whatever from autozone. And I noticed this just recently. When I turn on my brights, the passenger side bulb just shuts off. Half the time it works, half the time it shuts off. Both work fine on low beams. It also shuts off my fog lights when I turn on the brights, and I'm like 80% sure I remember using the high beams and fog lights together before, but I might be wrong... Checked all connections, they look solid. Anyone seen something like this before? Faulty bulb?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fog lights and highbeams never work together. My 98' TA is stock electrical wise under the dash. And my fogs turn off when I flick my high beams. There is a.mod to keep all 6 lights running.

I do recall reading in a thread that some states/counties that it is illegal to.have more then 4lights in one direction. Meaning more then 4 of the same color.

As far as the bulbs go and shutting off after a few seconds, it sounds like a relay issue.might run to orielys or auto zone and test a new relay to see If it fixes if it doesn't I'd look at replacing the bulbs. If that doesn't work then it most likely sounds like.a wire issue, but I doubt that since they worked before
Old 02-15-2013, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mista Blazer
Fog lights and highbeams never work together. My 98' TA is stock electrical wise under the dash. And my fogs turn off when I flick my high beams. There is a.mod to keep all 6 lights running.

I do recall reading in a thread that some states/counties that it is illegal to.have more then 4lights in one direction. Meaning more then 4 of the same color.

As far as the bulbs go and shutting off after a few seconds, it sounds like a relay issue.might run to orielys or auto zone and test a new relay to see If it fixes if it doesn't I'd look at replacing the bulbs. If that doesn't work then it most likely sounds like.a wire issue, but I doubt that since they worked before
The under dash wiring isn't all original.. Went under there myself a few months back to fix a VATS issue but I don't think any of the lighting should have been affected. Ill go grab some relays this weekend and test them. Thanks for the insight
Old 02-15-2013, 08:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

There are no relays in the headlight system. And since most places will not take returns of electrical parts, you'll end up using them for door stops.

I would check the bulb socket for loose or corroded connections since it's an intermittent problem.

Quick Reply: High beams work about half the time..