Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stuck in 1St... 4l60E...Does not shift...HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation stuck in 1St... 4l60E...Does not shift...HELP!!!!

Greetings All,

Just completed 5.7 w/4l60e(automatic) swap. Tranny was rebulit to a stage 1, So on initial run car goes into drive but never shifts to 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

Hooked up ODB II reader to see issues/or error codes....No issues, replace VSS sensor..

Test drove again, still no shifting, tried to put car in low gear and shift up, nothing....

Hooked up ODB II to see if it would register a speed...no speed being registered only RPM's could the vss b wired wrong?

What am I missing?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:37 PM

Received 398 Likes on 304 Posts

The trans shifting is completely controlled by the PCM.
The PCM will only shift when certain speeds are reached.
If the PCM never sees speed, it never shifts.

Must be a wiring problem to the VSS or you replaced with the wrong model VSS.
Did you first try your original VSS? Or is this a swap into a totally different car.
If it is a totally different car, tell us exactly what you have, what year trans, what year PCM, etc.
Just a way-crazy thought - any chance the trans was built with a 700R4 output shaft, which would fit, but doesn't have VSS pickup.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
The trans shifting is completely controlled by the PCM.
The PCM will only shift when certain speeds are reached.
If the PCM never sees speed, it never shifts.

Must be a wiring problem to the VSS or you replaced with the wrong model VSS.
Did you first try your original VSS? Or is this a swap into a totally different car.
If it is a totally different car, tell us exactly what you have, what year trans, what year PCM, etc.
Just a way-crazy thought - any chance the trans was built with a 700R4 output shaft, which would fit, but doesn't have VSS pickup.
1. Must be a wiring problem to the VSS or you replaced with the wrong model VSS.
Today I'm going to verify the following Pin Outs -Tcc goes to blue pin 30

Vss purple goes to red 21
Vss green goes to red 20

2. Did you first try your original VSS? Or is this a swap into a totally different car.
No, Totally different car

2b. If it is a totally different car, tell us exactly what you have, what year trans, what year PCM, etc.

The bell housing states the Trans is a2007, The PCM and wiring housing is from a 2001 both were together, had to add the tranny plug to the wiring housing. The PCM flash and wiring harness was done by S & S PERFORMANCE , HARNESS AND ECM SERVICE

3. Just a way-crazy thought - any chance the trans was built with a 700R4 output shaft, which would fit, but doesn't have VSS pickup.

I'm not sure on the output shaft. I will contact my tranny guy and ask. What is a VSS pickup? The VSS is installed in the tranny it simply slips into the tailhousing..is there a grove or something? How can I tell if there is a VSS pickup?

Also I have a need speedo which needs calibration.

Last edited by makaveligh; 02-16-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 AM
Teching In

Default Resovled

Turns out pin 21 on PCM was bent and never made contact. Now she's shifting. Thanks for your help/suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails stuck in 1St... 4l60E...Does not shift...HELP!!!!-img_0552.jpg   stuck in 1St... 4l60E...Does not shift...HELP!!!!-img_0553.jpg  

Quick Reply: stuck in 1St... 4l60E...Does not shift...HELP!!!!