Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4t65e (HD) upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4t65e (HD) upgrades

Hi all I'm not sure if this is in the right place but now my transmission is on its way I'm looking for advice. It's off a 2006 impala v8. I'm going to try and aim for the 500-600whp margin and wondering what internals I need to change. Also I've heard and seen rumours of these 1" gmr chains does anyone know if somebody else has started developing them? Or is it the 7/8" the only option.
Cheers
Old 02-20-2013, 04:22 PM

Received 392 Likes on 300 Posts

Everyone certainly is welcome here, but I have never seen the 4t65e discussed here; only rear drive transmissions are discussed here.

Being curious, I found this seller of performance 4t65e who mentions the parts needed for power up to about 400hp:
http://tripleedgeperformance.com/GM_...nce_4T65E.html

There are other forums that specialize in the front drivers.

Perhaps some of the builders here can give you some tips.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Cheers I was looking at there kit, but there was a couple of others. One quoting a 15/16" chain rather than a 7/8" but I'm not sure other than the selling speech.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Teching In

i do a lot of 4t65s none with that kind of hp most are daily drivers but i rember seeing gm publish a parts and how to on a 1000hp ecotec with a 4t65 build also intense racing builds a lot of parts for fwd gm cars
Old 02-21-2013, 02:18 AM
Teching In

Thanks ill look up intense racing, I've read the gm book and the only difference I can see in there kit to the one that triple edge sells is the chain
Old 02-21-2013, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was into modding supercharged 3800's before getting into ls1's , still have a couple bolt on regal gs's.

Dave Norris is the owner of triple edge performance in the link posted by mrvedit , he is the prominent builder for the 3800 community today.

The GMR 1" chain would be best for the power level you want unfortunately they stopped offering it when GM went through bankruptcy , there have been rumors for years that so and so was working on bringing it back , for now the best way to acquire one is to buy a modded 3800 car or trans out of a demod people dontseem to want to seperate them anymore since they are so hard to find people will buy the whole car or trans to get the chain! it used to sell through zzp , intense etc.. for 1200 or 1500 I forget but the only one I have seen listed used and seprate lately was offered for 3000 for just the chain!

the 7/8 chain is actually stronger than the 15/16 I forget why but the explanation I had read made sense cant remember it it was a material or assembly issue but for now a 7/8 is the way to go. I would trust Daves advice over any parts vendor , he has great feedback on all the FWD forums and there are many , many stories of him giving valuable advice via forums ,e mails ,phone calls ,etc..

you will also need an input shaft go with the 300m for your desired power level , you will need the best clutch paks Dave offers and he mayrecommend some other hard parts like gun drilled output shaft and dont forget the actual axles , I cant remember the name of the company that makes bulletproof ones but if I can remember Ill add that info for you.

overall I would suggest looking to the 3800 forums as they have been modding 4t65e's for 15 years so the recipes are well developed.

btw the quickest 3800 4t65e car I am aware of was zzp's black grand prix , barely street legal , big turbo , big heads ,stock factory assmebled short block other than cam and chain and it went 8.6 @159 and you cant 60 foot a fwd like you can a rwd so I recall high 1.4/low 1.5 ish 60 foot. I believe the car was making around 900 hp.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these are the axles i was referring to:

http://www.southfloridapulleyhq.com/...halfshafts.htm
Old 02-22-2013, 02:50 AM
Teching In

Thanks I emailed triple edge a while back. So I think after the positive response from the forums ill stick with him a few other forums (through google searching) didn't really show much up other than companies that were selling simular parts that's how I found the 15/16 chain. But I read they snap rather than stretch like the 7/8 version.
The axles I have sorted there is a company in the UK willing to make some fully hardened 300m versions, as its not going in a conventional car they will have to be specially made.
Cheers

Quick Reply: 4t65e (HD) upgrades