Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a kit...methanol injection?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just bought a kit...methanol injection?

Ok, so, due to not having the 15,000 for a high compression build or forced induction at the moment ...I decided to buy a wet kit off another member on here. I have two questions.

1. We only have 91 octane around here. Could I use a methanol/water injection system, at WOT only, of course? Do people do that?

2. Should I get an actual nitrous tune, or will I be good with a timing controller? I do have an innovate wideband gauge hooked up.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2013, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Zheadsncam
Ok, so, due to not having the 15,000 for a high compression build or forced induction at the moment ...I decided to buy a wet kit off another member on here. I have two questions.

1. We only have 91 octane around here. Could I use a methanol/water injection system, at WOT only, of course? Do people do that?

2. Should I get an actual nitrous tune, or will I be good with a timing controller? I do have an innovate wideband gauge hooked up.

Thanks!
You will be fine on 91 octane. Just stay at around a 150 shot. I have sprayed 175 on 93 pump but looking at my plugs that was about as far as I wanted to go on pump fuel. You don't need meth. To me that is just one more thing to complicate things.

Just use a timing controller. Its easy and effective. Make sure you use colder plugs and that your fuel system is up to the task. Leave the wideband off and tune by looking at your plugs when you make a pass at the strip. Only use the wide band as a reference after you get the tune right on the plugs.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
You will be fine on 91 octane. Just stay at around a 150 shot. I have sprayed 175 on 93 pump but looking at my plugs that was about as far as I wanted to go on pump fuel. You don't need meth. To me that is just one more thing to complicate things.

Just use a timing controller. Its easy and effective. Make sure you use colder plugs and that your fuel system is up to the task. Leave the wideband off and tune by looking at your plugs when you make a pass at the strip. Only use the wide band as a reference after you get the tune right on the plugs.
I was going to just use the NGK TR6 plugs, as those are what have been recommended to me. As for fuel, I'm currently just running a single walbro, stock fuel rail, with 34lb/3 bar injectors. The car made 423wp at 3300ft elevation. Will that be enough fuel to facilitate a 100 or 150 shot as well? Also, the cam I'm running is 234/240 .598/.608 with a 112 lsa. It should do well with the spray, right?

Last edited by 98Zheadsncam; 03-01-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: grammatical error
Old 03-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you wont have a fuel issue, just need to tune by the plug readings
Old 03-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Launching!

you could run the meth instead of fuel and not have to pull as much timing as well...might be a little safer too.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Launching!

See, the problem is, I don't have any tuning software personally. I would have to go to the local shop to have it done.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 5.0 LsX
you could run the meth instead of fuel and not have to pull as much timing as well...might be a little safer too.
That would require a whole new fuel system. OP is not going to do that.

See, the problem is, I don't have any tuning software personally. I would have to go to the local shop to have it done.
Get the LNC 2000 from Lingenfelter it will pull the timing and is easy to install and use. It will let you run motor timing all the time and only pull timing when you spray. Make sure you have a hotwire setup on that pump so it will get all the voltage it needs. TR6 is a bad idea, that is a projected tip plug, you want non-projected. You will need to run a br7ef (3346) as for the plugs.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Launching!

Get the LNC 2000 from Lingenfelter it will pull the timing and is easy to install and use. It will let you run motor timing all the time and only pull timing when you spray. Make sure you have a hotwire setup on that pump so it will get all the voltage it needs. TR6 is a bad idea, that is a projected tip plug, you want non-projected. You will need to run a br7ef (3346) as for the plugs.
Ok, cool, so I can just run the lnc-2000 without using a tune? Doing that, my afr should stay the same at WOT with maybe 4 degrees of timing pulled, correct?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Yes you can run it witout getting a tune. It should stay the same in a perfect world, but its not. That is why you read your plugs and tune because I guarantee you it will be richer on the bottle than on the motor if you use the recommended jetting from whatever manufacturer.

By the way I just read your first post again. Forced induction such as a turbo system doesn't cost 15 grand.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Yes you can run it witout getting a tune. It should stay the same in a perfect world, but its not. That is why you read your plugs and tune because I guarantee you it will be richer on the bottle than on the motor if you use the recommended jetting from whatever manufacturer.

By the way I just read your first post again. Forced induction such as a turbo system doesn't cost 15 grand.
Ok, I'll make sure and check the plugs out. Yea, you're right, I could do a budget F.I. build for a lot less. However, I was wanting an F1r/aes390 setup, which would have necessitated a trans rebuild, clutch, fuel system ( I was looking at a Nasty Performance setup), new heads, cam, etc. The F1 setup alone from Brutespeed is 8 grand. So I figured, what the hell, 100 wheel power for less than 1000 bucks, why not? The Nitrous Outlet 78mm plate system seems to be a good setup for the money.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok, I'll make sure and check the plugs out. Yea, you're right, I could do a budget F.I. build for a lot less. However, I was wanting an F1r/aes390 setup, which would have necessitated a trans rebuild, clutch, fuel system ( I was looking at a Nasty Performance setup), new heads, cam, etc. The F1 setup alone from Brutespeed is 8 grand. So I figured, what the hell, 100 wheel power for less than 1000 bucks, why not? The Nitrous Outlet 78mm plate system seems to be a good setup for the money.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.
You have to crawl before you walk.

Just like you are adding a nitrous kit to your car. You could of got someone to fab up a hotside for you, bought a $100.00 CX racing intercooler 3 inch piping from jegs, and some silicone couplers and you would be maybe a lil more than a grand in. Get a t76 from Rob@modular turbo for ~750 bucks. There are a couple of odds and ends and you would want to get a boost friendly cam. You will initially have spent more, but guess what? No refills! While you have that setup on the car you can save for the big dog set up.

Plus you can't spray your way faster than what a forced induction setup will do. You can take a stock LS1 car and just put a turbo kit on it and it will run 10's. You can't take a stock LS1 car and just put spray on it and run 10's.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

I would add a nitrous outlet dedicated fuel system if you look to add more power, rather then methanol.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's a good idea but you have to know a little about tuning and reading plugs. I am putting n2o on my SBE LS1 and adding a meth/water setup also just for insurance and to make sure it doesn't detonate. The stock pistons can take a lot of n2o but if you detonate one time it's over for the stockers. It only takes getting a bad tank of pump gas and it would be bye bye so thats why Im setting it up on my street/strip car.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Launching!

It actually works very well and will help supplement a poor tank of gas and/or high heat conditions(high IAT's). Start out with a small shot and bring the shot up to where you want accordingly, reading plugs every or every other pull(more important as you spray 150+ to really keep an eye on this). Get your AFR and timing in your targeted area, then introduce a small nozzle(i used a devils own d03 to start) running a 50/50 mix I found it richened my AFR up 5-7% for every 2gph bigger nozzle. Obviouslly results will vary with different setup's but you get the idea, Just like with spray start small and work your way up and i know you will be very pleased with the results as I was. I have been toying around with the idea of seeing how far i can push a 5.3 or 4.8 in my next build using a big shot with meth to supplement it.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Thats exactly what I was talking about, works great to keep any engine out of detonation by cooling off the combustion chambers and adding octane. May not make more HP but will definately keep your engine alive longer and not running on the ragged edge. JMO
Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by T/ALT1
Thats exactly what I was talking about, works great to keep any engine out of detonation by cooling off the combustion chambers and adding octane. May not make more HP but will definately keep your engine alive longer and not running on the ragged edge. JMO
Adding it alone will not make more hp like you said, however it opens up alot of other possibilities, you will be able to run a bigger shot on a higher CR and safely be able to find your engines peak timing. Plus if you have any issues with heat soak, the injection system will fix all of that.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

I just stated it wouldn't make anymore HP but would keep the engine out of detonation which is always a good thing with nitrous on any engine?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlueStreak362
Adding it alone will not make more hp like you said, however it opens up alot of other possibilities, you will be able to run a bigger shot on a higher CR and safely be able to find your engines peak timing. Plus if you have any issues with heat soak, the injection system will fix all of that.
And I was agreeing with you....
Old 03-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Well, I called Nitrous Outlet, and was told that I should be good just running 91 with no additives. He said I can just use the timing controller, and check my A/F at WOT with the wideband. To adjust, I can just use different fuel jets. The kit came with a few which are close together - .35 and .38, I believe. Meth injection is definitely an option down the road, though. The problem is, I just don't have the cash for it right now, so I'm going to go ahead and try to get by just pulling 4 degrees of timing starting with a 100 shot, and I'll see where that gets me. The timing controller is going to run me 275 bucks as is, but it's a must, so we'll see. Damn expensive hobbies.

Quick Reply: Just bought a kit...methanol injection?