Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Centercaps (pic)..Application ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Centercaps (pic)..Application ??'s

I really like the stock twisted spoke wheels on the TA/formulas. Personlly, I think they are second only to the 91 wheels.
The only thing that mildly bugged me was the ABS centercaps.
Last year..I finally found a place that had something for the standard ABS wheel caps...
Phoenix Graphics has a set of ..ya..DECALS..that cover the ABS stuff...I bought em last fall, but it suddenly got cold and icky out, so I figured I put em on in the spring.
Before you start laughing.. check out the pic..they dont look bad at all!
Whatcha think?
(If you go to Phoenix Graphics and look at their pic..it its pretty poor..it doesnt do these things justice...They actually look pretty darn good!)

The above pics are on the drag wheels.
Why? Cuz I goofed up the 3rd cap!! Grrrr..

So I put the two on the drags, and ordered another set (29 bux)

Granted this question would be better asked on a honda board.. ..
Has anyone applied decals in a manner that 'deadens' the adhesive? Phoenix Decals sells some stuff that does this (15 bux!
for a lil bottle ) that does this so you align it properly..then you let it dry for 3 hours.
I didnt want pay 15 bux for a few drips of this 'stuff'...
I talked to a sales guy at PG about this..He agreed that for what I was doing was overkill.
He suggested that 1 gallon to 1 teaspoon of DAWN will do the same thing.
Oh really?
Is this a real trick for decal application? I dont wanna ruin another set of these things.
I picked up a gallon of DISTILLED water and expect to try this...
(I figure tap water will have too many minerals and could have a negative effect..)

Also..clearcoat.. I've heard that a coat over/under the decals make for better wear...
If this is the case, can you pick up a can of spray clearcoat at an auto parts shop or sumthin??

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 04-23-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't clear coat a decal.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:16 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I recently took silver ABS center caps and painted them black for use with my chrome 16" wheels. I then hand-cut Pontiac Arrowhead emblems out of red & chrome vinyl. I was able to clear them by doing SEVERAL light coats. I did several experiments before clearing the caps, and if I applied the clearcoat heavily the vinyl started to curl. I used duplicolor clear coat from my local Napa. One can lasts forever when you're doing something small like the center caps.

I'm not at home right now or I'd upload the pic of my caps for you....I'll try and do that later.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:49 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 04-29-2004, 06:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

soap and water. its the cheapest way to put vinyl graphics on. works good. i use a special liquid to put on vinyl and tint for windows. the reason for the soap is the decal has to be lifted again somtimes or moved. it takes patience and a good balance of soap to water

Quick Reply: Centercaps (pic)..Application ??'s