Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

silverado heads and cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silverado heads and cam

Hey guys, i got a 2003 silverado 4x4 with the 5.3l engine and 4l60e tranny. i have put gibson shorty headers on it, banks cold air intake, and true dual exhaust 2.5 piping going into thrush welded mufflers. and soon ill be puttin 33 inch tires and a 2in lift on it. ive been looking into puttin different heads and cam on it but i dont know much about that stuff all i know is the heads on there now are numbers 706 i believe. i want a good combo thatll give me some good high end power but i dont want to sacrifice any lowend consider i do some towing and offroading every once in a while. and this is my daily driver. would appreciate your opinions, thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 05:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since your building a big heavy truck I'd go more for low/mid range torque....

What's your budget? Long tube headers would be a better option to make more power, but since you have the shorties look for a longer exhaust split cam like a 224/230, keep your lift at or under .600" lift so the valvetrain lasts longer and a nice tight lsa. In your case I might even look at the GM ASA race cam....it is a nice grind, just has a low lift.
Get a tranny cooler and spend the money on a great torque converter ($800+) like Yank....around a 2,500-2,800 stall would work really good.

If you have the money in your budget buy a good set of small port heads like the AFR 205's (look for deals on used ones in the classified section).

What if any gears do you plan to run?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well budget is kind of tight right now but im keeping the truck for a while. I got stock 3.73 gears now, i thought about puttin 4.10s in it. i figured i would have to get a trans cooler and a different converter but would i have to beef up the tranny a little more too? also i have seen head and cam combos that dont look too bad but when it comes to numbers im clueless. i was lookin at some prc stage 2.5 heads and cam combo from texas speed or trick flow specialties combo but i dont know how good those are. ill check out the asa cam and afr's

Quick Reply: silverado heads and cam