LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cast Aluminum Exhaust Tip question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cast Aluminum Exhaust Tip question

I am putting together a new exhaust from the headers back. I have BBK headers with Y-pipe, Magnaflow Cat, Intermediate pipe, TBD on the muffler... Reason being I have an old exhaust tip that is cast aluminum. It would look pretty cool if it was cleaned or painted. I am not sure if it was some kind of rare stock option from when the car was bought new. There are no stamps or logos or insignia anywhere on the tip. The only marking is in the middle and says "top."

The tip is all one piece, it accepts two pipes; one on each side. They are fused together in the center. The effect is one huge centrally located exhaust tip at the back of the car with four outletting holes (if you were looking at the back of the car with it mounted.

Does anyone out there know if this was a stock tip, or if it is aftermarket? I am trying to find out what brand or company made it.

Thanks; I will try and post some pics when I get home.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you're talking about the CME (Center Mount Exhaust) from SLP that were an option on LS1 SS Camaro's. Search for CME on here and you will find many examples.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
Sounds like you're talking about the CME (Center Mount Exhaust) from SLP that were an option on LS1 SS Camaro's. Search for CME on here and you will find many examples.
Wow I have been searching the internet for about a week trying to find info on the exhaust. Thanks! Is there any disadvantage to keeping the center mount exhaust? For the traditional duals they go straight back; with this kit it adds 2 extra bends that the Exhaust has to go through.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nucmedkahuna
Wow I have been searching the internet for about a week trying to find info on the exhaust. Thanks! Is there any disadvantage to keeping the center mount exhaust? For the traditional duals they go straight back; with this kit it adds 2 extra bends that the Exhaust has to go through.
No problem.
There's no disadvantage at all, it looks killer on the camaros. Those extra bends wouldn't noticeably take away any performance.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Thats great thanks! I have been searching online for an SLP CME kit with a muffler on it but everything appears to be pipe kits from the intermediate pipe back. Any idea if they sell a kit or the direct fit parts, or will I have to piece this together on my own?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nucmedkahuna
Thats great thanks! I have been searching online for an SLP CME kit with a muffler on it but everything appears to be pipe kits from the intermediate pipe back. Any idea if they sell a kit or the direct fit parts, or will I have to piece this together on my own?
Have you tried contacting SLP directly? The problem you're facing is that these kits were made in a limited quantity, quite some time ago.

Quick Reply: Cast Aluminum Exhaust Tip question