Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Locked Out of Gear (again)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Locked Out of Gear (again)

A few months ago I replaced my failing stock clutch with a Monster twin disk after I would push the pedal all the way to the floor but I couldn't get it into gear.

-replaced clutch with Monster Level 1 Twin (from Colorado Speed)
-got a stainless steel brake line (From SNL)
-a new slave (from Colorado Speed)
-and a speed bleeder (from SNL)
-everything installed by Lethal Performance in SATX

It was a very nice clutch, I noticed that the engagement was at the very top of the clutch pedal. There was some minor chatter that has gone away since beating on it as Steve @ SNL said it would.

Yesterday, 5000 miles later, while sitting at a light, I tried to put the car into first and it wouldn't go. it was completely locked out of every gear. I turned the car off, waited a few minutes, pumped the clutch pedal several times and the car went into gear.

Today my car will not go into reverse. I also noticed for the first time that no longer is the engagement point short and at the top, but engagement is very long, begins at the very bottom near the floor and ends near the very top. Also the clutch fluid is black. Does anyone have a clue what my problem might be? Clutch master? Slave? Fluid?

Last edited by 409CISecondGen; 04-06-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it's time to re bleed the system. Black fluid is not good but it should not be causing your problem. Seeing as how you have a speed bleeder installed I would go ahead and re bleed the system with fresh fluid. Should be easy to do by yourself and won't cost much to do.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I bled the system yesterday. It's been easier to get into gear now, but the pedal travel still isn't how it used to be when I first got it installed.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bleed bleed and more bleeding! Black fluid is NEVER good! That often means it is dirty and full of moisture which compresses while fluid should NEVER compress.

Also try setting the car at different angles while bleeding to assist in air bubbles coming out of the reservoir. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Locked Out of Gear (again)