Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauges reading really funny.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gauges reading really funny.

I've got a problem with my gauges. I just got the car back together after having a new transmission pump installed and getting the converter fixed by yank. The car has a battery relocation kit so the battery is in the trunk. This is a pull from stop light to about 40-45mph (GPS because as you'll see my speedo doesn't read correctly.) And only a maybe 1/4 throttle. I wish I had enough power to do what it does.

The car is a 98 LS1 that has a cam and a 4l65E built by ACE racing out of Texas and 3.42 gears.

The voltage gauge as you can see reads really low. I pulled the negative cable off of at the battery to see if they car would stay running and it died the second I pulled the cable off. So I'm assuming I need a new alternator. But do you guys think that my alternator problem would cause the gauge to do what they are?

I have no codes what so ever as if I missed a plug or anything.

Any thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited by Sk8phreak88; 04-07-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:32 AM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Lets hope you didn't burn up any electronics by pulling the battery cable. You never should do that on a modern car. Get a voltmeter and learn how to use it. By the way an unloaded alternator can put out over 100 volts.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Start w/ checking all the grounds. And, what Pacer said^^^^^^^
W/ the trans having been taken out, I'd look at the grnds at the rear of the head.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't find my multimeter and I was in a hurry to try and see if I could narrow down my problem. Everything is working the same as it was before so I don't think anything fried. I didn't unbolt any grounds either. All I unplugged was the 3 plugs and the vacuum line to the trans. And then the o2 sensor to get them out of the way.

Quick Reply: Gauges reading really funny.