Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Can this be Touched Up?! Black SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can this be Touched Up?! Black SS

I got nailed by something on the road. I never saw it coming so I'm guessing it was from the other side of the highway.

I'm posting in the detailing thread vs. the paint and body to hear from the detailers to get their opinion of a "touch up" job. I'd rather not have to repaint the entire door (just yet.)

Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As long as its not too deep in the door I would think it could be touched up/filled in with paint. Then wetsanded and buffed out. Obviously it wont be 100% but certainly not easily noticeable.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to rub it with compound first see how it looks, if your lucky you may be able to sand it with some fine grit and buff/polish it out.
General rule on scratches is if you can feel it with your finger nail it more than likely needs painted.
Rub it with some compound first then go from there.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Is it all the way down to the primer? If so you will need to have is body worked and repainted unfortunately. You could likely get away with having a shop spray from the moulding up but a "blend" job is very tough on a flat panel especially on a black car.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Yea it's past the primer and even "chunked" into the fiberglass a bit
I was just hoping that it might be able to be spot painted after the repair, then I can buff the hell out of it to blend as much as I can. Similar to repairing a key scrape. If I could get an 80% - 90% repair done until I repaint the entire car I'd be thrilled.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Launching!

I've done blend jobs before but on a flat panel and on a color like black that has so many different shades and levels of fade it's just super hard to get right. Getting it smooth should not be an issue it's just being able to get the colors to match up. Poor SS
Old 04-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 607motorsports
Poor SS

Tell me about it! This car has been my pride and joy for 9 years and 9 days now. For now, as long as I can get the damage smooth and black again it won't be such an awful eye sore on a really nice looking car.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by juSStin4171
I got nailed by something on the road. I never saw it coming so I'm guessing it was from the other side of the highway.

I'm posting in the detailing thread vs. the paint and body to hear from the detailers to get their opinion of a "touch up" job. I'd rather not have to repaint the entire door (just yet.)

Hello juSStin4171

Terribly sorry about this ding in your door here. Although it does not appear to be a huge issue, I can understand your interest in fixing it. It seems as though you've received some great insight here from other members as well. I may be able to assist here also. If you would private message me your VIN #, I can look up the exact color and code of the paint on your vehicle. With that information, you may be able to find your exact match. Let us know if we can assist.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-10-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

what I would do Is get some black single stage paint. I would touch up the spot and wait about 10 mins and repeat. keep doing that till you have the spot completely filled in and the touch up spot will be slightly higher then the factory paint. then after it completely dries you can wet sand it with 1500 and then 3000. then buff it. with it being black and not a huge spot you don't have to worry about it having a perfect match. I have done this in a lot of cars and if done properly it will look great. you asked for a opinion from a detailer but im a painter and a veteran detailer. this would be your best bet without having it properly fixed
Old 04-11-2013, 02:27 PM

Default chip

Yes it will work i have did it. It just take time. Youn can go to the dealer and get touch-up paint. It works better then what you get at the part store. Just play with it. You will see it but no one that didn't see it befor can.
When you buff it use 1500 to sand it and use a panit stick to sand it
442 old
Old 04-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I have an appointment with a mobile "fix it" guy to look at it on Monday. I've seen some of this guy's work personally and I was really impressed. He estimated around $75.00 for the fix. I'll update when it's done. For $75.00 it's worth a shot!

Reggie - I already have the code for the 2001 Onyx Black. Thanks any way!
Old 04-16-2013, 02:22 PM

if you can feel it with your finger nail or the finger nail fit in it probably not. but you can get either enamel or base with a little clear in it. touch it up let dry then lightly wet sand then repeat until satisfied then lightly buff the area

Quick Reply: Can this be Touched Up?! Black SS