LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

got my 24x kit, I'm a little upset.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Default got my 24x kit, I'm a little upset.

So I get in my kit today and start mocking some parts up. My harness is still being done and the timing cover is at the shop for powdercoating.

Anyway, first thin I notice when I opened the box is the crank sensor is brandname "Standard". OK not bad but not AC Delco. Being that I work in a GM parts dept, this is the brand we get from across the street when the customer doesn't want to pay for a "Genuine GM Part"

OK, whatever!!! so I sit down and prepare for placing the parts on the engine (it's on the stand). The crank reluctor fit nice, good tight fit on the keyway.
Now to the cam reluctor. I already know, after talking to Mike about the dowel pin that drives the opti. Mine can't be pushed in because of being a custom ground cam and the pin is correct length for opti drive and will have to cut it. So I want to just mock it up.
HUH, WHAT THE ####??? it doesn't fit on the dowel. Really??? $565 and I have to drill the hole bigger????

So I break out the dial calipers and start measuring. Dowel pin = .250" ( like it should be.) Measure the reluctor...= .243"

Just my experience so far but apparently many have had good success and as I plan on doing as well. But I don't feel I should have to be drilling on a CNC'd piece that' supposed to fit and getting aftermarket parts when GM parts are recommended, priced and paid for.

So far, not too impressed. But hopefully by the time I get it all bolted on and together, things start to work out the way it should.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That stinks, this is the first I've heard of this. Did you give Mike a call? I know that they dont make the reluctors in house, so maybe he can call the manufacturer and square it away.

Your wife will be driving that beast before you know it! You seemed antsy to get it together when you were at the shop!

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 04-09-2013, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, Hopefully you can finish up on the harness. I'm not rushing you though. I was trying to get it done before my sons prom but I was slacking on it myself. But I'll get it done before the shootout. She wants to race it there.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks, id definetley call and see if they'd send you another...
Old 04-10-2013, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My cam reluctor had to be drilled out to fit my le cam. To be honest not a big deal. Never bothered to look at the cam sensor to see what brand it was. Setup works mint ill never own an opti again end of story.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:00 AM
TECH Regular

We designed the 24x conversion with a stock GM engine (1994 LT1). The camshaft reluctor fits the GM dowel pin. For some reason, some aftermarket camshafts have a slightly larger OD dowel pin. It is unfortunate that the aftermarket does not keep to the geometries of GM's design. This is the source for frustration for us both. I'm very sorry you had to ream the dowel hole 0.007".

We are seeing more and more sensors manufactured in the same facility and simply put in different packaging. In this case, the Standard sensor is an AC Delco sensor (it is also an Airtex sensor). If we could afford the manufacturer's minimum requirement, EFI Connection's name would be on the box or bag. What you didn't receive was an AC Delco box or plastic bag.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a little surprised if the dowel pins are different that cam sprockets and Opti drives all fit either factory or aftermarket cams. Evidently everything else is drilled .250"?
I didn't know you guys had cam position sensors too that's pretty slick.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
I'm a little surprised if the dowel pins are different that cam sprockets and Opti drives all fit either factory or aftermarket cams. Evidently everything else is drilled .250"?
Yes, our cam reluctor fits just fine on the stock 1994 LT1 in the shop. We first noticed this issue when doing a 24x conversion last fall on a 1997 Trans Am (documented at http://www.facebook.com/eficonnection). I don't recall the specific camshaft our customer was using. We simply reamed the camshaft reluctor dowel pin hole and moved on with the installation. Really not a big deal. When you add aftermarket parts, unfortunately sometimes there are situations where you have to tweak other parts. For example...timing cover clearancing for roller rocker arms, grinding the face of the block for some double roller timing sets installs, and so on.

I didn't know you guys had cam position sensors too that's pretty slick.
We have a 1x camshaft signal solution for the LT1 that uses our 1x camshaft reluctor, a Gen IV LS-Series camshaft sensor, and our cast aluminum camshaft sensor housing.

We have some pretty cool stuff in the works related to the camshaft signal.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by S10Wildside
We designed the 24x conversion with a stock GM engine (1994 LT1). The camshaft reluctor fits the GM dowel pin. For some reason, some aftermarket camshafts have a slightly larger OD dowel pin. It is unfortunate that the aftermarket does not keep to the geometries of GM's design. This is the source for frustration for us both. I'm very sorry you had to ream the dowel hole 0.007". Nice sarcasm!!!

We are seeing more and more sensors manufactured in the same facility and simply put in different packaging. In this case, the Standard sensor is an AC Delco sensor (it is also an Airtex sensor). If we could afford the manufacturer's minimum requirement, EFI Connection's name would be on the box or bag. What you didn't receive was an AC Delco box or plastic bag.
Hmmm. I measured the pin on my "94's" original cam and my old hot cam, (yes I still have them), BINGO, .250"

But nevertheless, Many hobbiests / younger guys don't have the tools I have and gathered over the years to figure this out. They would have been at a loss and probably alot more pissed than me if they were leaning over the front of their car and had to figure this out. Most would have just grabbed a drill and a bit and commenced to drilling. Very, very few would have started mic'ing drill bits and have a drill press to drill straight and consistant.

Either way, it's a good kit and I'm looking forward to using it. But when I throw alot of money at something, I want it to be right. This has been a 13 month long, very meticulous build and it's in it final stages.

Last edited by SAPPER; 04-10-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SAPPER
Hmmm. I measured the pin on my "94's" original cam and my old hot cam, (yes I still have them), BINGO, .250"

But nevertheless, Many hobbiests / younger guys don't have the tools I have and gathered over the years to figure this out. They would have been at a loss and probably alot more pissed than me if they were leaning over the front of their car and had to figure this out. Most would have just grabbed a drill and a bit and commenced to drilling. Very, very few would have started mic'ing drill bits and have a drill press to drill straight and consistant.

Either way, it's a good kit and I'm looking forward to using it. But when I throw alot of money at something, I want it to be right. This has been a 13 month long, very meticulous build and it's in it final stages.
this, i know me myself and i wouldn't have thought of this and would have done what he just said.....
Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SAPPER
What can I say? Everything fits on our stock 1994 LT1 engine. Maybe there are some varying tolerances on the cam dowl pins.

But nevertheless, Many hobbiests / younger guys don't have the tools I have and gathered over the years to figure this out. They would have been at a loss and probably alot more pissed than me if they were leaning over the front of their car and had to figure this out.
You are the first to have considered this such an issue as to complain. Either way, we will look into this and consider opening the hole for the next batch of reluctors.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:24 AM
TECH Regular

Now that I'm thinking about it, we had no trouble with the camshaft reluctor installation (the dowel pin hole) with the stock 1996 LT1 rebuild that is currently for sale on ebay. Must be an aftermarket cam only thing. We will look into it.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not saying it's your fault at all. But it's something some should be aware of. That's the idea of forums...to discuss and give heads up of personal experiences.

Trial and error, R&D, and fixes along the way. This way any future customers will have something to look at if they run in this issue and will know what to to to fix the problem.
I initially used a .250 bit and it was still very tight. It would have went on but it would have taken a tap and not what I want to deal with if I have to remove it. So I went up to a 17/64ths bit. I should have used my 6.5mm bit and it would have been a little bit tighter but it's good enough.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problems with mine
Old 04-10-2013, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have an aftermarket cam in my TA and it went on fine.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had the same problem when I helped with an install on my buddies 94Z. The hole in the reluctor was a shade too small.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed mine 2 years ago, and I did not have this issue. I have an aftermarket cam btw. It's a great conversion kit---piece of mind, no more OPTI!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh man, Im ordering my setup here REAL SOON. Now Im paranoid about this hole. I am scared to screw something up now, great. AI cam, btw.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys are all panicking for no reason. Just use a 1/4" drill bit and slightly ream out the hole.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks ram air. I will be ordering mine within a week, this isnt what I wanted to start reading. I was wondering if there were tolerances and at what point have i drilled too much.

Quick Reply: got my 24x kit, I'm a little upset.