Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug wire observation

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug wire observation

Not much of a question or an issue but something I had noticed. Ive recently finished a cam/intake/head/headers bla bla upgrade and when brought it to the tune I had a bad miss. Traced it down to cylinder number 3 and I figured it was an injector because that was the only thing that I had changed that would impact a single cylinder. Got the new injector and still had a dead cylinder on number 3... The plug wires have about 10k miles on them (one summer) and they were fine before the upgrades. Well I messed around with the wires and was going to see if the dead cylinder followed the wire so I went to swap the wire and had hot headers still and got frustrated and pulled the wire off the crimp so I just re-crimped the wire temporarily so I could still conduct my theory/test and sure as **** swapping the wires fixed my issue. I actually now had all 8 cylinders so my issue was confirmed that it was my wires. Here is my observation:

The wires on the car were "JEGS" wires but while inspecting them they are marked "DEED" but also Jegs. I did my research and found that MSD wires were the most popular and reliable for the most part over others besides Granetti. So I purchased some MSD Super Conductor wires and was just looking at them and they are a duplicate of my "JEGS" wires except the boots on these have MSD molded into the silicon. But in small lettering on the coil boot it is marked "DEED". I have a very good suspicion that the JEGS wires are the exact same wire as these MSD wires minus the MSD molded into the boot and they are at different price levels. Gotta love how manufacturers/distributors mess with the exact same product and price is differently... Kind of like the slave cylinder for our T-56 is a million dollars from GM but $60 from the local parts store and they are the exact same part in a different box. Has anyone else noticed or already touched on this topic that the JEGS are MSD wires in disguise or vice versa?

Quick Reply: Spark Plug wire observation