General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Basic/General Fuel Question For After Long Storage Period

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic/General Fuel Question For After Long Storage Period

Just had a pretty simple question that I知 sure I知 not the only one who tends to think about this come the time to get the cars ready for spring if you store them.

The most common thing people do is top it off before storage, add STABIL, and run it out in the spring, plain and simple right? Anyway gas can get old and contaminate or hurt anything during the 4, or 5 months of sitting? My 2003 Z06 sits for those months with the battery out and under a cover and doesn稚 get started, so I top it off and add STABIL and then Seafoam when I start to drive it again. My race bikes I can easily drain or siphon the gas out to ensure fresh gas for the season. Cars are a little different and more difficult.

I guess I知 just seeing if what I知 doing is the right thing haha. Because the last thing we want come spring is not to be able to rip our machines!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I've been doing the Stabil + full tank prior to storage for about 15 years now. I also use small amounts of Red Line fuel system treatment with every fill-up (1/5 ounce per gallon of gas) to maintain system cleanliness. My '98 still has the original injectors and fuel system, and even after 6 months of storage will fire up within a couple of cranks...just like it was started the day before. No issues at all. In fact, for the last ~5 years or so, I drive this car so rarely that I usually only fill the tank once or twice a year, so I keep Stabil in it year-round. Again, after many years of this pratice, there are no issues present. The car runs great.

I follow the same storage pratice with my '71 as well, and last spring I had the carb apart for some tuning changes....after many years of service without a rebuild, it still looked spotless inside.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 04-12-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

I would just like to add my own experiences in addition to the excellent advice given. The ethanol gas attracts water after long periods and it really adds up over time. Add that to normal condensation buildup and there is a lot of water in your tank. After experiencing a 'code' and rough running on a trip to FL when the gas was too low, I learned to use HEET every so often. Alcohol based (the good kind) that dries your tank and gets rid of the water. I have never had an issue since. It costs a whole $3 when on sale and you just add it to your tank. I get the red bottle since it has a cleaner in it too. Attachment 398680

Last edited by NC01TA; 10-03-2014 at 08:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Basic/General Fuel Question For After Long Storage Period