Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80e swap w/ stock M6 driveshaft - sanity check

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L80e swap w/ stock M6 driveshaft - sanity check

I've took apart the drivetrain over 2 years ago, so there's a lot of things I don't quite remember.

I know that the "stock driveshaft" from an M6 or A4 equipped fbody "should" work with a 4L80e swap, with the proper slip yoke. I inserted the slip yoke on the output shaft and slid it in as far as it'd go, and there was ~2.5" gap to where it bolted to the rear. I marked the slip yoke with a Sharpie and measured the distance between fully seated on the transmission and where it was when I backed it off to bolt to the rear end.

I installed adjustable rear LCA's and panhard rod and my rear suspension geometry is not aligned properly at this point. My tires sit an inch back in the wheel well, maybe a little more, so I know that 2.5" gap will close up some when I have the rear end centered where it should be.

My question is this - when properly installed, is the drive shaft slip yoke fully inserted into the transmission as far it will go, or is there some play? My output shaft is not the "fully splined" type (TH400 style?) it has an o-ring, so I assume there is a certain point that the driveshaft DOES need to be inserted to seal.

This is probably a really dumb question, but it's been so long I don't remember what it was like when I removed the drive shaft 2.5 years ago.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Must have some play,you do not want it bottoming out in he trans when the suspension compresses.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Good point didn't think of that.

Quick Reply: 4L80e swap w/ stock M6 driveshaft - sanity check