New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal fading to floor

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal fading to floor

Hey guys, this is my first time posting here, but im having some problems with my '01 Firebird Formula that I was hoping someone could help me out with. I have owned the car for about a year, got it with 77,000 miles on it, drove it from the beginning of March last year until November when I put it away for winter. The car now has 90,000 on it and is stock other than an SLP cold air intake.

I took it out of storage in march and have been having issues with the clutch that have been getting progessively worse. When shifted at higher RPM's the clutch seems to fade to the floor after a few shifts. If driven around shifting below 3,000 RPM it seems fine, but if you take off a little harder and shift from 1-2 and 2-3 around 4,500 - 5,000, the pedal immediately fades to the floor. Obviously this gets worse the longer you push the car and will eventually go straight to the floor if not pumped back up. On downshifts, especially into 2nd and 3rd you can hear somewhat of a raspy grind like noise from underneath the car, not sure if this is related, but it doesnt sound like when you grind a gear.

Today I changed the transmission fluid, gear oil, and bled the clutch hydraulic fluid. I got a lot of air out of the slave and the pedal seemed to feel a little better at first, but as soon as I pushed the car a little harder it was back to the same thing. Not sure what I should look at next, like I said everything is stock and it drove perfectly fine last year. I have never taken the car to a drag strip and I never dump the clutch. It gets driven hard on twisty back roads but thats about it.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be or where I should be looking next? I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong area or if this has been covered somewhere else, I tried using the search feature but couldnt really find anything specific to my problem. Thanks for any help you guys can give me, this car is driving me nuts!
Old 04-14-2013, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you try looking the in the manual transmission section? What key words did you actually search for?
This is stickied at the top of the section...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...d-threads.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-write-up.html
Old 04-14-2013, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, not sure how I missed that, my bad. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yes there lots of information around. i have diagnosed mine to a wearing pressure plate with all other things. just change it all at once and it should fix it.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

jd_amg what kind of wheels do you have? i like the set up
Old 04-14-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are having the same problem I and hundreds of others have with the stock clutch. The most likely cause is the stock pressure plate. Monster clutch is having a good sale right now for a level 1 kit ( good for up to 450rwhp ), and it has a heavy duty pressure plate.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same problem. Time for a new clutch. Id stay away from Monster. If you search the Eastern section you'll see why.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal fading to floor