LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

sometimes i wanna blow up my lt1..

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sometimes i wanna blow up my lt1..

hey guys, just need a place to vent and just get some thoughts on a situation with the car.

anyways sent the car off to have hood painted and subframe connectors welded on. Painter sends me a pic today of the car, looks pretty sharp with that harwood on there now i must say. He then send me a text asking about the opti and telling me the car is having random backfires that sound like a shotgun going off. I asked him if it misses at all, he states he hasn't really drove it and the idle hasn't change and is relativley smooth like it was when i dropped the car off, just occasional loud backfire out the exhaust.

I did some research and from what it sounds like it could be a plug wire no? I won't be able to even look at the car till thursday since thats when im picking it up, but i have other goodies i've been waiting to put on the car so the plan is to tackle this thing this weekend hopefully! Plug wires and opti are at most 2 months old.... replaced all front seals no leaks anymore which is part of the reason my old opti went out. I'm really suspecting wires coil/icm anybody else have input.

if not thats fine just wanted to vent, i keep trying to get this car steps ahead towards the finish goal(which will never happen since i keep changing my mind) and i keep getting set back.... blah
Old 04-16-2013, 09:08 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Swap plug wires 6 & 8 and it'll run good BUT do what you describe.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Plug wires are correct car ran great before I dropped it off, no random backfires, it started this while its been at the shop, just describing what was told to me, I'll know first hand thursday
Old 04-17-2013, 09:11 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

he get it wet? maybe they got body dust under the hood and just washed it off and filled up the optii with moisture
Old 04-17-2013, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

i don't believe he washed the car off or got any body dust on it, but i could be wrong im sure most of the work he did the hood was off the car, he said it doesn't sound like its missing but it just randomly backfires really loud like a gunshot, i won't experience it. Loud backfire out the exhaust would be un burnt fuel hitting exhaust pipe though wouldn't it? Just curious if anyone experienced anything like this and like stated i really needed to vent, and my wife hates when i talk about the car haha. Keep posting up though its giving me a good insightful list of things to check.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

hopfully it jsut fried and o2 and not the opti, ill hook my scanner up to it on the drive home tomorrow. If the opti did get wet hopefully it dries out and runs fine by the time i pick it up.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats one of the first things I would suspect is if he potentially fried something while welding...hopefully he was smart enough to at least unhook the battery.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
Thats one of the first things I would suspect is if he potentially fried something while welding...hopefully he was smart enough to at least unhook the battery.
i've never really welded so i would of never thought about that, im hoping its something minor to really don't feel like ripping out the opti.... i probably wont be able to do a physical check until friday but i will know the symptoms first hand tomorrow and ill have my scanner on it for the drive home, which im hoping goes smooth
Old 04-18-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Well tthings took a **** for the worse. Picked the car up at first it was just a random pop went away stopped for gas, left gas station and the pop was gone about 2 minutes later nothing but constant missing all rpm ranges, really made car drive home suck, scanner had the o2s all over the place short term fuel trims were at 50 vnot on the gas.... Was reall rough.... And a pain to get home
Old 04-18-2013, 10:21 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

If this all started suddenly, I would consider the possibility of getting a tank of bad gas and/or a bad fuel filter.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

hmm i thought about that and thats why i stopped and filled it up with sunoco 93octane same stuff i put in it everytime. fuel filter isn't even a year old. At first upon start up it just had a pop at idle very random just a popping backfire every once and a while. left and it fealt a little stumbly low rpm range but ran great wasn't exactly misfiring per say. Finally cleared up right befoer i stopped at the gas station. Filled up left, thought wow its not doing it at all and is running great again, about 2 lights later it started misfiring and bucking like crazy under and load, was a rough ride home sounded like pure ****. My fuel trims off the throttle short term were high but my o2 volts were really low.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

also it looks like the battery was disconnected i didn't quite ask, but my key fob doesn't work and my radio and clock was reset. He said he moved the car and it was sitting idling when it started doing it.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hell, just burn it to the ground, come to the dark side
Old 04-19-2013, 06:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by roninsonic
Hell, just burn it to the ground, come to the dark side
if i had the time money and resources to do a ls swap the way i want to i would.... but for now the lt1 has to suffice which kind of blows... anyways anbody else got an idea, im hoping to look things over tomorrow as its raininy today unfortunatley
Old 04-19-2013, 07:53 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

You need to go through the usual troubleshooting procedures. Fuel air spark.

As you said you have codes, scan the PCM and start there.

I find it odd that this all happened after they disconnected the battery.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

never said i have codes, i'll be checking spark plug wires and spar plugs tomorrow. i wont be able to get a fuel pressure tester till probably next week. almost everything has been replaced recently. plugs, wires, opti, fuel pump, injectors....this car has just been one problem after another.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

just want to state that it looks like my number 8 wire took some damage... i believe the zip tie holding it away from the header must of broke or melt cause needless to say it was closer then it needs to be and the pllastic covering i had around it shriveling up and meleted to the wire, tomorrow im hoping to get underneath and and take a better look and replace it with a wire i have from the last set i thought was bad, even thought itll be a slightly tinier wire itll have to suffice until i get an OTVC setup, tired of burning wires and routing them all funky to keep away from headers.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96z28_lt1
just want to state that it looks like my number 8 wire took some damage... i believe the zip tie holding it away from the header must of broke or melt cause needless to say it was closer then it needs to be and the pllastic covering i had around it shriveling up and meleted to the wire, tomorrow im hoping to get underneath and and take a better look and replace it with a wire i have from the last set i thought was bad, even thought itll be a slightly tinier wire itll have to suffice until i get an OTVC setup, tired of burning wires and routing them all funky to keep away from headers.
So, basically something that cold have happened to any other car.

You keep bad mouthing the lt1, it will come back to getcha!
Old 04-20-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

today while looking at my wires i noticed that it is just the plastic wire loom i put around them that seemed to melt wires looked great, decided to plug in my scanner and turns out i t must of thrown a code on the way home the other day because it didn't have one before. Low voltage o2 sensor, replaced it unplugged the battery let it sit for about a 1/2hr started it up and went for a drive. No popping at idle it seems like, seemed to stumble a little bit until it finally went into closed loop in which case i had misfires, seems to stumble a little bit though so wires still might need some replacement. But it seems o2 sensor cleared up misfire.

Quick Reply: sometimes i wanna blow up my lt1..