Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Made a Vararam fit on my 04 (sort of)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Made a Vararam fit on my 04 (sort of)

Figured I'd post this over here too

Let me first start by saying almost all of you would never do this, but I have my many reasons, so let's continue. To start, I spent several hours over several months searching for alternative OTR intakes for 04s. The Aussie intakes were too expensive, the Vararam as it sits will not work on an 04 with a MAF, and while a Svede is the obvious answer, I can never be ready when a used one pops up, and I refuse to wait for a new one. So finally a week ago I stumbled on someone who made a C6 K&N filter work under a Banshee hood on a 04. He clearanced the top of the radiator (which is perfectly fine, the GMM Ramjet requires it), and notched the bottom of the hood. This gave me the idea to do the same, but I didn't want to pay for the K&N which was $130 the cheapest I could find. So naturally I chose the Vararam filter, and went to work. I do not have insulation yet, I may or may not add some. I will most likely duct the kidney grills to the filter like the guy that did this before me, and I will be running a cowl eventually so I will let that feed air to the filter also
TECH Fanatic

This is how everything fits, I used stock f body bellows I had laying around to make sure the distance between the MAF/TB was acceptable. The distance works fine on f bodies, and it's working fine on mine. The coupler from the filter to MAF is another I had, worked perfectly.

Here you can see how the MAF plugs in and where I placed the IAT sensor. I have the WCS sensor along with an upgraded MAF screen for better readings.

And the finished product. The filter "hump" sits in between the fan shroud/radiator perfectly. I removed the bracing from above the filter area on the hood. The hood fully closes and opens without hitting the filter at all. I am ready for any and all criticism/hate. I finally have closure on this, after 4 attempts I finally pulled it off.

TECH Fanatic

Initial impressions for anyone wondering are obvious/what I expected. Much stronger from 4K on up. Much better than the hardcore I had on there. Another thing I like is that the way everything sits, I can fit any combo of MAF/TB that I need to.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not do like a bridge from a c6 and mount the filter behind the grilles?
Or if that doesn't fit build a custom bridge.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen
Why not do like a bridge from a c6 and mount the filter behind the grilles?
Or if that doesn't fit build a custom bridge.
Trust me I tried. The C6 intake was my first idea. There isn't enough room to really do much, that's why the Svede is fairly skinny and wide. The air bridge has the wrong angle, and building a custom one wouldn't be worth more than just running a 90 degree elbow, but doing that would have me using an elbow, which I didn't want. Even if I did run one a filter would have not fit unless I went custom. This turned out to be a viable option and set me back less than $100
Old 04-18-2013, 08:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're going to want to make some sort of tray for that at least if you do any dig racing. It's not doing much more than pulling in engine bay air. From the pics it looks like your strut bushings are shot and seriously, clean that engine bay!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I know you want a straight shot, but without a shield for the filter or placing the filter in front of the radiator it's going to be hurting your IATs. You need to trade some raw flow for colder intake temps in my opinion.

That's just my .02c, but I commend your efforts to do something different.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by svede1212
You're going to want to make some sort of tray for that at least if you do any dig racing. It's not doing much more than pulling in engine bay air. From the pics it looks like your strut bushings are shot and seriously, clean that engine bay!
I still need to figure out how to make one, getting this to fit was enough of a challenge. Strut bushings are shot along with the rest of the suspension, I'm slowly gathering enough to do the shocks/springs/bushings all at once. And I will, the main road where I work is being repaved right now so any effort I put into it would be a waste
Old 04-18-2013, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen
I know you want a straight shot, but without a shield for the filter or placing the filter in front of the radiator it's going to be hurting your IATs. You need to trade some raw flow for colder intake temps in my opinion.

That's just my .02c, but I commend your efforts to do something different.
Thank you. And I know the IATs are creeping up at idle, thats always going to happen with no shield. Once I'm moving it's a non issue though, plus the fast acting IAT sensor gets the temps in check rather quick. I know it still needs some work, and I'll get there soon enough.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, especially for having to kinda rig it up to fit.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the compliment

Quick Reply: Made a Vararam fit on my 04 (sort of)