Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heres my situation, which cam do you think would do the job???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heres my situation, which cam do you think would do the job???

Ok, My car is a 1998, and it has about 35,000 miles on it. It is a 6speed and so far stock. I will be adding the following:

-Lid
-SLP Long Tubes
-Cut Out (right before stock muffler)
-4.10's (in 10 bolt form unfortunately for the time being)

Now, I do not have enough money to swap the heads but I have just enough to put a new cam in there. I do not care about it sounding stock, and I am looking to get the most power without having to tune it (whether or not this is possible, I do not know, and I will get it tuned if I have to if it will perform MUCH better than with out a tune). I also do not want it to stall at every red light, but if it happens once or twice a week, I think I can live with it if the power will make up for it. I really want to be able to beat new Z06's and 03 and 04 Cobras without a problem. Which cam do you think is right for me and will I need to change the springs no matter what???

Thanks, I appreciate any help I can get

Also, with the cam you recommend and my set-up, what do you estimate my rwhp will be and what kind of 1/4 mile time do you think I would be hititng???
Old 04-23-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Look here before you buy SLP LT headers. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/162808-slp-lt-s-horror-story-manhole-cover.html I don't understand why anyone still buys them. You would be OK with a Thunder Racing 224 on a 112 LSA without tuning since you have a M6. Not perfect, but OK. Might have to drill the T/B.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Comp cams 224/224 .581 112 XE-R w/o tuning
LG g5x-2 400+HP but will need tuning.Also have new one for sale cheap!
Old 04-24-2004, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Would a 228 be too much??? How much would a good tune be? I know by me its about $500 to tune a H/C car, would it be cheaper since I am just changing the cam??? Also, would I need to replace the valve springs no matter what?

Thanks
Old 04-24-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

The 224 duration cams are a very good piece and very suitable to what you're doing.

Yup, you'll need to change the valve springs no matter what.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

You might want to talk with Joe at Vinci High Performance in Orlando, FL. I hang out there sometimes. They have been working with Crane on a new series of accelerated lift lobes and rockers. The 1.7 rockers have the pushrod seat located low relative to the point of rotation. As the rocker starts its cycle the pushrod seat moves outward (and upward) on its operating arc causing the effective ratio to decrease. The 1.7 ratio rockers start out at 1.79 off the seat and then decrease to 1.72 by .300" valve lift. They maintain the 1.72 ratio until within .300" of returning to the seat and return to the seat at a 1.79 ratio. Their 1.8's come off the seat at 1.89 and decrease to 1.82. The rockers combined with the new lobes give a cam with 216@.050 timing the same duration at .300' valve lift as most of the 224 and 226 cams. They claim they provide most of the benefits of an inverted flank roller without the cost and production costs IF rollers have. His cars idle nice and really scream. He is also working on new power tuners with Crane. The F-Body/Corvette tuner is supposed to be out in 2 to 3 weeks. It has programming for 7 different performance cams. None of the tuning activates the OBD II lights and it handles supercharging, headers, high flow injectors and a host of other things. I think he said they can control through 228 at .050 with the accelerated lift lobes. They all ready have these tuners out for the trucks, I just ordered one for my tahoe. I also got to drive a 2002 Tahoe with all wheel drive, 5.3 stock heads with Crane springs, Crane RV LS1 cam (210/218, .562lift int & ex), Magnason supercharger (6#), Bassani headers and exhaust with cats and high flow injectors. Idled beautifully, part throttle was perfect and at WOT you would swear it had a built 502. Would easily run heads up with a stock or mildly modified Z-28. They couldn't dyno it because of the all wheel drive.
They don't advertise a lot, but they sure have the customers with the nice cars, and they really have their act together. Last time I was there, they had 8 cars/SUVs in the shop, and Joe told me they were easily worth over $700,000. There are some sharp people going there because their stuff works. You might want to give them a call. I think they advertise on this site.