Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Rust repair and Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust repair and Removal

There are rust spots on both sides of my car on the fender well (I believe). Does anyone know how to remove and or repair these types of rust spots. I went and got an estimate today at a collision shop and it was extra steep at $840.

http://
Old 04-23-2013, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like they're trying to ram you in the rear. Visit another shop.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Most definitely Ghost I was hoping to do it myself its such a small area. If I mess it up then I'll take it to a pro
Old 04-24-2013, 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

looks like minor surface rust, just sand it down and paint over it, its just the wheel well tape off the outside and be done with it. Looks like **** take it to a pro haha
Old 04-24-2013, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

My thoughts exactly I going to try and do it myself because its in a secluded area. Then if I *** it up I'll take it to a professional
Old 04-25-2013, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I can tell you why they want $840; it's because they are going to remove the rust by grinding it or blasting it, prime the area, then repaint/reclear that whole quarter. It's a lot more involved than it looks from just the spot you see. I had one of my cars with the same problem--rust on the inner fender lip like that. I took it to a guy and had him do both fender lips in the rear because they both had issues, and he ended up painting the whole quarter. They want to hide the repair as best as possible, and the best way to do it is to take it out to the end of the quarter panel.

As small as it is, I would try to repair it myself first. If you can get a sandblaster, that would be my first choice, otherwise grind it out and treat the metal with a rust converter (I prefer an acid type), then prime and paint the lip. Should last you a while if you take care of it right away.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:56 AM

Your first step is to eliminate the corrosion. You will need a sanding disk fixed with sand paper, with a structure of 100-grit. Continue gradually when eliminating colour and corrosion so that you don't eliminate or cut into the steel. You want to sand beyond the corrosion place to create a strong place free of corrosion.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by repairwindshieldz
Your first step is to eliminate the corrosion. You will need a sanding disk fixed with sand paper, with a structure of 100-grit. Continue gradually when eliminating colour and corrosion so that you don't eliminate or cut into the steel. You want to sand beyond the corrosion place to create a strong place free of corrosion.
Thanks for the advice and insight guys I'll go and buy the sanding disk and get to work. If I mess it up hopefully the guys at the shop can fix my mistakes

Quick Reply: Rust repair and Removal