Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Gauge Cluster Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Cluster Help

I'm new to the forums and to LS1 vehicles, though I've owned several 4th gen cars (including an LT1 Z28). Hopefully, you guys can help me out...

I bought a 98 Trans Am a few weeks ago and have been trying to tackle various problems the car has racked up over the years, either through owner error or time.

I'm not sure how I didn't notice this right away, but for some reason the car has a V6 gauge cluster installed. I ran the VIN on the car to make sure it was actually a factory V8 car and not a swapped one and everything checks out there. The only thing I can figure is that the factory unit died and a previous owner installed what he or she could find (or what was cheap).

My question is this: Should I try to find a 150mph V8 cluster to install or could I get away with just putting a V8 faceplate over the gauges? More than anything I want the gauges to be accurate and right now they're really not. Larger gears have been installed in the rear and it also has 17 inch wheels (according to the door it came with 16 inch wheels). The car came with a Hypertech programmer so I have adjusted for tire size and gear ratios and am still off by somewhere between 10-15mph on the speedometer. From what I've seen, a V8 overlay would read more accurate, but I don't want everything else (RPMs, oil pressure, voltage) to read incorrectly.

I just don't know much about the gauges and have not found a whole lot to help me in my searches. Thanks in advance
Old 05-01-2013, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You should swap to the v8 cluster.
They probably screwed ya on the miles too, ..., Because the miles stay with the cluster. The car could've had 150k miles on it, & they put a cluster in it with 85k miles, etc.

Normally the 16 to 17 inch wheel won't make any difference, but things like the tire ratio etc, ..., actually the tire height, will make a difference.

And there are speedo adaptors available that you can install to help bring it back to an accurate reading. But it'll take some investigation to get it all fixed up to make it accurate.

I'd start with the right cluster & see if it gets more accurate with where you need to be. You can find them all over Ebay for $75-200+ with~40k-150k+ miles on them.

Maybe someone else can offer up info on the programmer, but I don't think you can 'change' your speedometer reading with that.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I seen a 98 formula with a 120 mph speedo, It was ordered without the z rated tires so it came with the 120 speedo.

Look at your option codes and tire size on the drivers door. I never seen a TA that did have z rated tires but I've not seen everything.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

I'll check the tire rating when I get home. I know the current tires are V rated, but I'm not sure what the factory specs were. The current mileage is 184,XXX and I did notice before I changed the gear ratio with the tuner that my odometer was clocking mileage much faster than it should have, so I may actually have fewer miles.

Thanks so much for the input.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

I checked my door and it appears that the car did come with Z rated tires. I guess that means the cluster was replaced at some point. I guess I'll check junk yards, eBay, and forums for a 150mph cluster. Thanks again, guys.

Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster Help