Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

1st and 3rd gear problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st and 3rd gear problem

Yesterday i went to boost for boobies here in Mn. Everything went perfect until about 30 min from home. When i was getting up to speed i went to put it in 3rd and it wouldnt let me. It wont grind syncrous unless i try and force it. Everytime i would slow down i would go to downshift and once i would slip it out of 6th it would kinda get stuck in neutral unless i kiinda wrestled around with the shifter. About 20 miles later i went to shift 2nd to 3rd and it worked flawlessly. So now everything worked except it would still be a bitch to get out of nuetral when down shifting. about 10 min later same issue happened with first gear. And that was right before i got home. Does anyone have any suggestion on what this could be?! Doesnt make any sense to me. I went through last year and replaced 3, 4 forks and all new pads and new shifter bushing.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 04rev600
Yesterday i went to boost for boobies here in Mn. Everything went perfect until about 30 min from home. When i was getting up to speed i went to put it in 3rd and it wouldnt let me. It wont grind syncrous unless i try and force it. Everytime i would slow down i would go to downshift and once i would slip it out of 6th it would kinda get stuck in neutral unless i kiinda wrestled around with the shifter. About 20 miles later i went to shift 2nd to 3rd and it worked flawlessly. So now everything worked except it would still be a bitch to get out of nuetral when down shifting. about 10 min later same issue happened with first gear. And that was right before i got home. Does anyone have any suggestion on what this could be?! Doesnt make any sense to me. I went through last year and replaced 3, 4 forks and all new pads and new shifter bushing.
sounds like could be a clutch issues maybe?
Old 05-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Wouldnt that grind syncros everytime? It feels like there is a roadblock in first gear before i grind syncro. Could that still be a clutch issue. I am running stock clutch on a 383 lt1 so that could very well be possible.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

And why would third gear all the sudden start working again?? Makes no sense..
Old 05-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 04rev600
And why would third gear all the sudden start working again?? Makes no sense..
well theres still a good chance it could be a sync. i just know my stupid self didnt bleed my clutch once and i had closed to the same problems couldnt even get it into first with the car running. after beating my head for a day i remembered i didnt bleed my clutch
Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

whats the proper way to bleed my slave? i did put a brand new one on last fall and wasnt 100% sure what i was doing, but pedal pressure feels ok. I could redo it and see if that wasnt the problem.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

its a t56 im guessing?
Old 05-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Correct. i Believe i got it fixed! I Bleed my slave and everything seems ok. Reverse it now sometimes a bitch to get into. A little more tinkering and everything should work ok. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: 1st and 3rd gear problem