Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need advice on clutch and trans issue..what should i step up to?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Need advice on clutch and trans issue..what should i step up to?

My engine mods and power level are in my sig.The problem is I recently gotten the bug to track the car.When I installed my setup into this chassis and was adjusting my tick master..I think i damaged the pressure plate setting my clutch pedal out too far.Its an ls7 clutch which has been good to me but ever since I got the car back on the road at around 11700-1800rpm is a loud rattle from the clutch area whether im driving or free rev.Ive also hot lapped the car once and had the clutch pedal stick to the floor Im also running a hd slave and pilot bearing I got from eastcoast performance corvettes.

Next issue is the t56 itself is grinding 3rd gear during hard runs..and cant seem to shift into 4th all the time..as if its locked out when im making a pass.Id have to double clutch.During regular driving I can switch gears fine.I have a pro 5.0 shifter and triple checked the stopper bolts to ensure full engagement.

Do I need a rebuild on the trans..if so..would it be recommended for stage 2 kit..also for a new clutch kit being mostly street car with light track duty what should I look into.Hoping to hear from some vendor support
Old 05-06-2013, 02:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How far did you adjust the master?
How many miles on the trans/clutch that is currently in the car?

As for everything else:

I would go with our Level 2 or 3 clutch kit once the trans issues are sorted out. Both kits can be purchased with or without a new slave cylinder. We carry bolts and remote bleeders as well that can be purchased with the clutch kit.As for the trans if it does need to be rebuilt i would give Jeremy@ RPM transmissions a call.

Could be the clutch not disengaging all the way, causing it to be hard to go 3-4 but most of the time if it is one gear or two gears its the trans because the clutch doesn't know what gear the car is in if that makes sense.

If you have any questions feel free to give me a call @ 817-750-2000
Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

The trans itself I think has about 100,000 on it.The clutch has about 20,000km

I dont doubt the trans is in need of a rebuild,it would sometimes grind third when I first got the trans used.Im not sure how far out exactly but when it was put into this car..the clutch pedal was atleast 2 inches higher than the brake pedal to say the least.I had to adjust it myself to about level with the brake pedal where I remember it had been in my previous car.

can you explain the differences between level 2 and 3 and why you recommend them for my intended use? I loved the driveability and life of the ls7,trying to understand the pros/cons between it and aftermarket ..would there be chatter,issues in the cold etc.Thanks

Quick Reply: Need advice on clutch and trans issue..what should i step up to?