Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Pump won't prime after hotwire

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pump won't prime after hotwire

Here's the deal. I just finished installing my racetronix pump, car fired up fine. Installed the hotwire, nothing. For some reason, the pump won't prime with the hotwire kit. I checked all connections, fuses, grounds, put a multi-meter on it and got good readings all the way to the pump, but still nothing. I'm at a loss. Anybody have any ideas? I tried putting it back to stock wiring and it works fine then. Back to hotwire, nothing again.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I fixed it. I'm posting my findings for future reference in case anyone else encounters the same problem I did. The problem was not in my install, but was an electrical problem, which I knew. Here is a pic of the two harnesses that go from the bulkhead to the pump itself. On the right, the one for the stock bulkhead connector, on the left, the one for the upgraded hotwire bulkhead connector. Pump won't prime after hotwire-2013-05-07-22.35.32.jpg
Everything looks good here. Notice that on both, the negative wire is on the right, and the power wire is on the left. The next photo is the pump side of both of those harnesses. Pump won't prime after hotwire-2013-05-07-22.35.53.jpg
Anybody notice anything? Yep, the wires are switched on this end. That's why my pump wouldn't run off the hotwire kit. The harness was messed up, sending the current the wrong direction across the pump. I switched the wires at the bulkhead end (was easier on that end, but now red is ground and black is hot. Whatever, it's in the tank and only I know.) When finished it looked like this. Pump won't prime after hotwire-2013-05-07-22.57.19.jpg Put the pump back in, turned the key, checked fuel pressure at the rail, looked good, car started right up. The harness had a QC sticker on it, which I can't find, but I guess whoever was working at racetronix that day had smoked one too many joints that day. Hopefully nobody else has this problem, but just in case, here's the info
Old 05-11-2013, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the info,
im about ready to start my racetronix pump, I still got a 1/2 tank of gas to blow thru, I hope i dont run into this.

got any pointers for me as far as the tear down of the tank,prep of the new pump,removal of pump, installation of the new pump and so on?

Last edited by stroked383HSR; 05-11-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by FIVEPOINT7
Well, I fixed it. I'm posting my findings for future reference in case anyone else encounters the same problem I did. The problem was not in my install, but was an electrical problem, which I knew. Here is a pic of the two harnesses that go from the bulkhead to the pump itself. On the right, the one for the stock bulkhead connector, on the left, the one for the upgraded hotwire bulkhead connector. Attachment 401785
Everything looks good here. Notice that on both, the negative wire is on the right, and the power wire is on the left. The next photo is the pump side of both of those harnesses. Attachment 401784
Anybody notice anything? Yep, the wires are switched on this end. That's why my pump wouldn't run off the hotwire kit. The harness was messed up, sending the current the wrong direction across the pump. I switched the wires at the bulkhead end (was easier on that end, but now red is ground and black is hot. Whatever, it's in the tank and only I know.) When finished it looked like this. Attachment 401783 Put the pump back in, turned the key, checked fuel pressure at the rail, looked good, car started right up. The harness had a QC sticker on it, which I can't find, but I guess whoever was working at racetronix that day had smoked one too many joints that day. Hopefully nobody else has this problem, but just in case, here's the info
ITWH-023 which comes with FPWK-017W is polarity wired for Walbro GSS34x-series pumps, AM340 and Racetronix RXP340 pumps. If used with our new FPA-001A pump assemblies the polarity will have to be reversed.

ITWH-022 is polarity compatible with the Racetronix FPA-001A fuel pump assembly. The ITWH-022 is bundled with the FPWK-017A fuel pump wiring kit.

The ITWH-023 which you have was wired correctly.

We recommend the wires be swapped at the pump connector so that the colors properly match the polarity markings on the top of the pump.

We have added added BOLD notations to our web store to help customers avoid this. The associated add-on link for the FPA-001A has always linked customers to the proper FPWK-017A harness kit.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 05-12-2013, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^^^Ive got a fuel pump kit with hotwire that was purchased form a sponsor for a 99

how do i know if i have everything correct before i start on this little escaped
Old 05-12-2013, 07:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
^^^^^^Ive got a fuel pump kit with hotwire that was purchased form a sponsor for a 99

how do i know if i have everything correct before i start on this little escaped
Look at the part numbers on the packaging and reference our post above.
Join our support forum BEFORE you start the installation.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 05-12-2013, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the info,
im about ready to start my racetronix pump, I still got a 1/2 tank of gas to blow thru, I hope i dont run into this.

got any pointers for me as far as the tear down of the tank,prep of the new pump,removal of pump, installation of the new pump and so on?
Check everything twice, and then check it again. It's a super easy install, but I forgot to put one of the CPA locks on, and had to pull it back out. That locking ring is a huge PITA, and having to undo it more than once sucks. It's a little bit more of a pain, but I would swap the pump, test it, then install hotwire and try it again. It sucks, but with something like this I only wanted to change one thing at a time. If you do it all at once and it doesn't work, you have a harder time trying to figure out where to start, since there is more than one variable. I was a little nervous since I've never done anything fuel related, but my 2 week old nephew could have done this. It's that easy. Just check your harness lol
Old 05-13-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Racetronix
Look at the part numbers on the packaging and reference our post above.
Join our support forum BEFORE you start the installation.
unless im missing something, I dont see my part #'s listed above.
on the bag with the harness its says: FPWH-001 and on the box containing the fuel pump it says: FPA-001 and where is the support forum?

Originally Posted by FIVEPOINT7
Check everything twice, and then check it again. It's a super easy install, but I forgot to put one of the CPA locks on, and had to pull it back out. That locking ring is a huge PITA, and having to undo it more than once sucks. It's a little bit more of a pain, but I would swap the pump, test it, then install hotwire and try it again. It sucks, but with something like this I only wanted to change one thing at a time. If you do it all at once and it doesn't work, you have a harder time trying to figure out where to start, since there is more than one variable. I was a little nervous since I've never done anything fuel related, but my 2 week old nephew could have done this. It's that easy. Just check your harness lol
thanks for the tips.
Im gonna wait til I get down to less than a 1/4 tank of gas. Im just intimidated by the directions and having the switch some wires from one to the other. I thought it was plug and play? ha!
and then having to route harness. its my DD and i dont wanna leave my self stranded. ya know?
hopefully i should just be able to remove and replace and if i cant do it without problems, im not gonna feel good knowing that your 2 yr old nephew coulda done it...LOL!!!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the tips.
Im gonna wait til I get down to less than a 1/4 tank of gas. Im just intimidated by the directions and having the switch some wires from one to the other. I thought it was plug and play? ha!
and then having to route harness. its my DD and i dont wanna leave my self stranded. ya know?
hopefully i should just be able to remove and replace and if i cant do it without problems, im not gonna feel good knowing that your 2 yr old nephew coulda done it...LOL!!!
I was a little intimidated too, but it's easier to understand once you have the pump in front of you. I was doing it on my DD too, so I definitely understand not wanting to leave yourself stranded. I take it you're dropping the tank? Even if you have to switch a couple wires, it's no big deal. It took me a whole day to figure out what my problem was. PS- I sent you a PM
Old 05-13-2013, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah im dropping my tank...I dont like hacking up my sheet metal. LOL are they really plastic? thats **** if it is.

I havent heard from RaceTronix as far as if i have the correct pump and harness. Im sure I do I just wanna make sure.

I hate replacing something that aint broke but its got 213xxx on it so its on borrow time plus ive done so many mods that it has to be replaced to keep up with the demand of the motor.

I found this picture, what are the other connections at the bottom right? is this what my tank will look like once I remove it?
Attached Thumbnails Pump won't prime after hotwire-dsc00303.jpg  

Last edited by stroked383HSR; 05-13-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Pump won't prime after hotwire