Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new noise croped up after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A new noise croped up after rebuild

I recently rebuilt my 4l65e transmission with a lot of help from you guys. Thanks a million again by the way! The transmission is operation fine still. I am hearing this noise though. It is like a ratcheting noise. I first thought it was a rattle and was quite sure it was the heat shield between the cat and the trans on the passenger side since it does have a striped bolt that prevents it from being tightened up with that bolt but it has other bolts that are tight and it doesn't seem to be that. I will try to become more focused on the problem when the wife gets back with it but for now that is all I can really say about it. I know it isn't much but its all I got. There does seem to be a connection with the turning of the wheels I think. That would imply that it is not the transmission at all though. If anything pops in your mind from these descriptions shout out. Right now I dont know what to think.

I can add this now after talking to the wife who is driving the car. the noise seems to go away when the car is moving. and when sitting still it goes away when the car is put in park. But it is present in all the other gears.

Last edited by fishcrazy; 05-10-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

OK I found the culprit. It is the heat shield. Both bolts have come out that hold it to the side of the transmission on the passenger side. I am sure one of the threads is striped out and now wondering about the other. Anyway I am trying to figure a way to get this reattached now in some other way that will secure it into place. Anyone have any thoughts on how I might accomplish this. I dont think that retreading the holes is an option without removing the tranny. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:35 AM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

Scottie, we need to get the shields back !!

Glad you figured it out on your own.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:40 AM
On The Tree

Hi Ted. We got the shields up again. Both bolts holding it to the side of the transmission were striped out. I'm using the pan bolts to hold it on for now with the assistance of a piece of angle iron. Considered just taking it off but thought better of it.

Hope it all good with you! Thanks. Jim

Quick Reply: A new noise croped up after rebuild