Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 04:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Heads

I've finally decided to go with the TR224 cam and want to find a good set of heads to go with it.

I was looking at the Absolute Speed 5.3L heads in the stage 2 or stage 2.5. How will these work with the cam and my mods??? Any other suggestions if not AS??

Also a kinda dumb question. With 5.3L heads I know they increase compresseion but do they flow as well??? Am i going to get enough HP and Torque. I chose the TR224 cam cause my cars a street car and I want a nice flat power curve. Also will using 5.3 L heads mean my LS1 is now a 5.3L instead of 5.7 L (I know it's a dumb question but still )

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:46 AM
Stu
TECH Resident

I would go with the TEA 1.5s

But then again I am biased.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:08 AM
TECH Resident

Why go with the 1.5 v/s the 2 and what kind are you running?
Old 04-25-2004, 08:28 AM
Stu
TECH Resident

Thats why I'm biased. I have the 1.5 TEAs. I think the stage 2s from TEA are more suited to nitrous applications. Different exhaust valve size. The 1.5s are pretty much built for a 224 size cam. I dont think you will have any problems with any of the sponsors poroducts but I am a TEA man myself. Loved the customer service too.

One tip tho, dont just call up and order a set without first discussing it with a rep from the company. Tell em what you want out of the car and they can give you the final say on what is right for you.

Good luck, Stu
Old 04-25-2004, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rice Eater 316
I've finally decided to go with the TR224 cam and want to find a good set of heads to go with it.

I was looking at the Absolute Speed 5.3L heads in the stage 2 or stage 2.5. How will these work with the cam and my mods??? Any other suggestions if not AS??

Also a kinda dumb question. With 5.3L heads I know they increase compresseion but do they flow as well??? Am i going to get enough HP and Torque. I chose the TR224 cam cause my cars a street car and I want a nice flat power curve. Also will using 5.3 L heads mean my LS1 is now a 5.3L instead of 5.7 L (I know it's a dumb question but still )

Thanks.
Your looking at an excellent combo there. I am in the process of doing the exact same but on a 114 lsa. I have had the cam for well over a year, but decided Jay's stg. 2 heads would compliment that cam the best. He also agrees its one of the best overall combos. The 5.3's actually may flow just a slight amount better than 5.7's. But they are limited in stock form by their valve size. Jay takes care of that with 2.04 intake valves. The porting looks sweet and they will set you up at 11.0:1 compression. Mine flowed really well at .550 and .575 lift. That's definetly a plus with this cam since mines in the .564 range in lift.

I would not go stg. 2.5 unless you are going with a big cam. The stg. 2 will work just fine. It may take little while to get them, but his costomer service is top notch. Give him a call. He's happy to answer all your questions.