Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP lid fitment question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SLP lid fitment question

I have an unknown vintage SLP lid on my '98. The fitment is pretty lousy, I had to add weatherstripping to get it to seal. Is this improved in the newer versions? Or are they all the same?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Not sure, but mine fits fine
Old 05-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had quite hard time fitting the round inlet of the air lid onto my MAF. It took quite a bit of careful sanding and grinding to make it fit properly. I should add that I made sure that I blew out with air and then wiped out the inlet to make sure that no particle got on the MAF. The sealing area around the filter fit well. I just got mine from Summit last month.

It turned out ok, but it was way more work than I expected.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm. Maybe it's time to order a new one, then.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

mine was a brand new one, just poor quality control I guess
Old 05-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Launching!

You need to use a hairdryer to get them on the maf. I found that out when I had 5 minutes to install mine and it took me 20
Old 05-24-2013, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Mine fit pretty crappy too. The MAF fitment was absolutely Fng ridiculous, and it doesnt seal well to the lower air box, especially in the back. I ordered and installed mine just a few months ago btw.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Hmmm.

So, a recap: Lids almost all have problems, and there aren't many other options. Crap.

Who has tried the Volant intakes for the Camaro? To be honest, I don't trust the sealing of the SLP lid at *all*.

Edit: I just looked at my SLP lid a bit better. It's all sorts of warped and crooked. It *has* to be an older one, as I can see a seam where two pieces were 'welded' together at the bottom of the MAF sensor socket.

Last edited by The_Bishop; 05-24-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The SLP's Blackwing lid fits perfect every time but are expensive if you can find a good quality used. The $99 SLP lid is horrible in quality and fitment. The lid has a small gap at the rear of the lid and requires weather seal foam which SLP supplies if you buy one new. If you don't have the lid sealed at the back then debris is entering your intake and not passing through the air filter correctly.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:30 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by gm02ceta
The $99 SLP lid is horrible in quality and fitment. The lid has a small gap at the rear of the lid and requires weather seal foam which SLP supplies if you buy one new. If you don't have the lid sealed at the back then debris is entering your intake and not passing through the air filter correctly.
Almost all aftermarket lids have a gap at the back that has to be sealed. At least SLP supplies the gasket, as you mention. Yes, it's tough getting one on to the MAF. But once it's on, it's on. I've had two SLP lids on different cars and have no complaints.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:20 AM
12 Second Club

I have a new slp lid, well bought few months ago, fit is great on the box, the neck is ridiculous. heated it up over the stove burner for 8 mins till it softened, then it went on. I doubt it will ever come off.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:36 AM
12 Second Club

Hmmm. I guess I'll give the Volant a shot next time payday rolls around.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:10 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also have the newer SLP lid and I'm very happy with it. The MAF is supposed to be difficult to get in -- that's what keeps it in! I simply heated the opening up with a hair dryer to get it wedged in there.

Also, while the SLP lid fit a bit loose with a factor paper filter, I switched to an Airaid dry filter and it fits perfect now. Just something to keep in mind before discounting the SLP.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The_Bishop
Hmmm. I guess I'll give the Volant a shot next time payday rolls around.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cs-inside.html
From what I've heard, Volant intakes fitment can be hit or miss also. Aftermarket lids are all hit or miss on fitment. Some fit well & others don't fit well at all. SLP lids are made the best though. They've invested the most money into manufacturing their lids & it's resulted in the most durable material. Many others have a tendency to crack because they aren't manufactured at the same level of quality as the SLP lids.

Good luck with whatever route you choose.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

OSU, I saw that post. I'm not talking about using the two filter setup, I was looking at the single filter Camaro one.

Hell, I'm still undecided.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

gosh I thought I was the only one with this problem
Old 05-30-2013, 01:59 AM
Launching!

I just installed one this weekend on a 2002 WS6 and the fit was very tight with a Wix air filter. I added the weather stripping in the back and it took a while to push the rear tabs into place. How do you know if you are fully down and sealed? Mine won't move at all but if you look at the rear it does look raised but I am just wondering if that is because the Wix is thicker and I applied the included weather stripping? I just don' t want unfiltered air going in and all.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by orthopod
I just installed one this weekend on a 2002 WS6 and the fit was very tight with a Wix air filter. I added the weather stripping in the back and it took a while to push the rear tabs into place. How do you know if you are fully down and sealed? Mine won't move at all but if you look at the rear it does look raised but I am just wondering if that is because the Wix is thicker and I applied the included weather stripping? I just don' t want unfiltered air going in and all.
The best way that I know of is to put a mini flash light on top of your air filter, install the lid, and see if any light escapes around the edges of the lid.

Quick Reply: SLP lid fitment question