LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel Pump Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Issue

So, I pulled my top end apart to do the LT4 hot cam kit and some other bolt on things. I got the motor all put back together and a Racetronix fuel pump kit with Racetronix hot wire kit installed about 1000 miles ago. I have had an issue for the last couple hundred miles. Started off with the motor randomly stuttering on rare occasion and then slowly got worse to where I start it and it runs for a few minutes at most then shuts off. I have replaced the ECU thinking it was bad and no change. Today I started the car and a second before the car died I heard the fuel pump shut off and the fuel pump relay click. I then waited a few seconds and turn the key to on and had fuel pump and it started up fine. I waited for it to die and tried to energize the fuel pump by applying 12v to the fuel pump prime connector and it was just clicking the relay but not turning on the pump. I kept applying power every few seconds and finally the pump came on after 15 seconds or so. Sounds like maybe the pump is freezing up or there is a bad connection at the pump or relay. What do you think?
Old 05-26-2013, 12:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Bad Bud
So, I pulled my top end apart to do the LT4 hot cam kit and some other bolt on things. I got the motor all put back together and a Racetronix fuel pump kit with Racetronix hot wire kit installed about 1000 miles ago. I have had an issue for the last couple hundred miles. Started off with the motor randomly stuttering on rare occasion and then slowly got worse to where I start it and it runs for a few minutes at most then shuts off. I have replaced the ECU thinking it was bad and no change. Today I started the car and a second before the car died I heard the fuel pump shut off and the fuel pump relay click. I then waited a few seconds and turn the key to on and had fuel pump and it started up fine. I waited for it to die and tried to energize the fuel pump by applying 12v to the fuel pump prime connector and it was just clicking the relay but not turning on the pump. I kept applying power every few seconds and finally the pump came on after 15 seconds or so. Sounds like maybe the pump is freezing up or there is a bad connection at the pump or relay. What do you think?

Bad fuel pump symptoms are progressively harder to start - longer crank time until it no longer starts. See if u can find a code scanner and read us your codes.

cardo
Old 05-26-2013, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cardo0
Bad fuel pump symptoms are progressively harder to start - longer crank time until it no longer starts. See if u can find a code scanner and read us your codes.

cardo
I replaced the ECU because it was throwing all kinds of codes. I mean all codes randomly! Stuff that made no sense! Its still doing that with a new ECU.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Did you ever figure out your problem? Where is the fuel pump prime connector?

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Issue