General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PS pump or Steering shaft u-joints?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS pump or Steering shaft u-joints?

My car has been bogging down from about 800 rpm (normal idle) to 3-400 rpm when i'm sitting still and turn the wheel. I have read that this is a good indication that the PS pump is probably going bad, but within the last 3 weeks my car has twice became hard to steer almost as if the U-joints or something on the steering shaft is catching. I would be turning a corner and it would become extremely hard (harder then not having PS) to turn the wheel, but would go away if i moved the wheel the other direction even a little. Could by car bogging down be because of the worn steering assembly, or do I probably have two problems?

PS pump as far as i know and steering assembly both stock with 137,000 miles. Fluid is clean and full.

Any input appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Strange question.. Do you have long tubes? I had a 94 Z28 that was older like that and when pitched into a hard turn the engine would lean enough that the headers were keeping the steering from turning (rubbing on the safety catch).

The idle could ALSO be your idle air controller going bad. Had that happen on a 95 firebird LOL.

How is your power steering fluid? Any leaks?
Old 06-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Teching In

The PS fluid is good, and does not leak. I have MAC Mid length headers on the car. Its only been hard to turn the steering wheel a couple times and it was never under extreme circumstances. Just a normal 10-15 mph turn around a corner, so the wheel wasn't being cranked over nor would i think the engine be getting in the way. The mounts are good. I'll look into the idle air controller. Thanks for he input!

Quick Reply: PS pump or Steering shaft u-joints?