General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Key Fob help please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 02:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob help please!

when i bought my 2002 Z i didnt get a key fob with it (key less entry) can i reprogram the fob to the GTP i used to have to work on my Z? If so, how do i reprogram it????
Old 01-30-2011, 02:53 AM
TECH Addict

If the car is just missing the fob and did have keyless entry as an option but the fob just got lost then you should be able to reprogram any GM fob that was used between those years to work with the car. Im not 100% sure on how you do it, but if I remember correctly it involves doing something with the alarm box in the trunk.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:32 AM
Staging Lane

ok didnt know there was an alarm box in the trunk. I knew about the shock sensors... i agree with your parking spot theory.... i got a good parking spot, sorry man.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:48 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Try this: http://www.wikihow.com/Program-GM-Keyless-Remotes

Or, if you've got the owner's manual, it should be in there. If these fail, just google it, there're all kinds of sites that talk about reprogramming remotes-a $40 service at the dealership. There is no need to mess with the shock sensor in the trunk, it's strictly with the key fob, your door locks and your ignition...
Old 01-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

alright i'll try that, no owners manual thanks for the help
Old 02-01-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought a spare for my Z71 and just had to match the numbers on the back with the old one...it came with programming instructions. Something crazy like turn the switch off 3 or 4 times and push the driver's side door lock and it goes into programming mode. You should be able to find instructions online.

As for your situation, I bought one for my dad for Christmas for his Sonoma that didn't come with one at all. I found out searching online that it came with two types in 2002, and you had to locate the receiver box under the dash and match the numbers on it. I think it was $20 shipped off ebay for a slighly used one. It came with programming instructions as well. It was actually listed on ebay to match a silverado.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:07 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

How'd it go with that fob, OP?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pulled this off of gm service information that i have access to..you will need the right part number fob though for your vehicle.

Remote Control Door Lock Transmitter Programming
Important: All transmitters which are to be recognized by the body control module (BCM) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode it will erase all previously programmed transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter. Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Remove the RADIO (#17) fuse.
While pressing the drivers door unlock switch, cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times within 5 seconds. The BCM will confirm entry into the programming mode by performing the following actions:
3.1. Locking both of the doors.

3.2. Unlocking the drivers door.

3.3. Releasing the rear compartment lid.

Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter for approximately 15 seconds. The BCM will confirm the programming of that transmitter by performing the following actions:
4.1. Locking both of the doors.

4.2. Unlocking the drivers door.

4.3. Releasing the rear compartment lid.

Repeat the previous step to program up to 4 transmitters.
Replace the RADIO (#17) fuse.
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:21 AM
Staging Lane

hey thanks for the help everyone so far no luck... i got the car to go in reprogram mode so i got that far but i think the fob i have has a dead battery. im gonna pick up a battery tomorrow and try again if that doesnt work i guess its to the dealership i go... and before anyone asks the car did originally come with a fob i checked the RPO
Old 02-06-2011, 03:32 AM
Teching In

I programmed two new remotes on a Trans am doing the radio fuse and holding down the unlock and lock buttons. Worked good, but disconnected the battery afew days latter to do some other work and had to reprogram them again. Didn't work the second time. Had to go in with a Tech 2 to reprogram them. And as far as I know they need to have the right part number and have the "x2" on the trunk button. I tried a couple other ones that that we had laying around and couldn't get them to program.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:22 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GeneralsArmy
hey thanks for the help everyone so far no luck... i got the car to go in reprogram mode so i got that far but i think the fob i have has a dead battery. im gonna pick up a battery tomorrow and try again if that doesnt work i guess its to the dealership i go... and before anyone asks the car did originally come with a fob i checked the RPO
That's wierd. Although when I bought a used replacement fob for my '99 T/A it took a few tries before the reprogramming took hold. Didn't all F bodys come with keyless remotes?
Old 02-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

I got a new battery for it and still no luck, i'll try it a few more time see if maybe it finally works...if not i guess i need to find a different fob... im not sure if they all came with keyless but i figure that they would.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Launching!

I did it by removing the 17 fuse, then cycling the key from off to on 3 times, ending in the on position on the 3rd time. The doors cycled to show I was in program mode. Then hold the lock and unlock buttons on the fob for 5 seconds, release them, and then hold the lock button on the fob for 5 seconds, the doors should cycle. Turn the key off, and you're done. Good luck!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:34 AM
Staging Lane

yeah ive tried all of this still nothing... i prolly just need to get a different fob.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Launching!

I called my buddy at the dealer and verified the P/N for the F body fobs. Then I hopped on eBay and grabbed one for 26 bucks shipped. P/N on mine is 16245100-29 Good Luck!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

the inside of my 2000 TAs keyfob says "to reset, press unlock and lock for 7 seconds near car"

mine works like 80% of the time...do you think resetting it would help?
Old 02-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

I am also trying to program a key fob I bought on ebay. Add said it was for a 2000 camaro which is what I have. I took the radio fuse out and turned the key 3 times, left it in the on position and the door locks won't cycle. I've tried this several times and nothing. Any Ideas to get it into program mode?

p.s. I don't have an owner's manual
Old 02-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Niko97Rs
the inside of my 2000 TAs keyfob says "to reset, press unlock and lock for 7 seconds near car"

mine works like 80% of the time...do you think resetting it would help?
the fob i have says that too.. im not sure if resetting it would help maybe you might need a new battery??
Old 02-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LooseMoose
I am also trying to program a key fob I bought on ebay. Add said it was for a 2000 camaro which is what I have. I took the radio fuse out and turned the key 3 times, left it in the on position and the door locks won't cycle. I've tried this several times and nothing. Any Ideas to get it into program mode?

p.s. I don't have an owner's manual
i don't have an owners manual either try checking the RPO codes in the door to see if your car came with key less entry, not sure if that matters to make it go into program mode? also did you have your door closed when you try the program mode? so far i've gathered that, that is how your supposed to do it. correct me if im wrong anyone.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I doubt a Grand Prix transmitter will work in an F body. F body transmitters aren't terribly expensive at the dealer.

Quick Reply: Key Fob help please!