What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

What's a truly fair offer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 04:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a truly fair offer?

I'm getting the LS1 bug again but in a slightly less performance-oriented way. I've found an '01 SS convertible with 59K miles; A4 with 3.23 gears, leather, Monsoon sound system, and six disc CD changer (every option sans traction control).

Mods-wise it has black C5 Z06 wheels with a polished lip and rivets as well as a very nice looking cat-back. It may have more but I don't know. Assuming it runs and checks out like it should, what's a legitimate, non-lowball offer?
Old 06-09-2013, 04:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people get butt hurt over my offers but it is usually close to what they end up selling the car at months down the road when they get off their high horse.

My offer would be in the neighborhood of 7K depending on overall condition. I'd say most on here would say 9-11K but they smoking the good ish.

I won't pay over that for a stock fbody unless it is really low mileage or rare.

I paid a hair over 8K for my 408 car a couple weeks ago... Paid 8500 for the pewter car in sig years ago (h/c built trans 69K miles, etc).
You can get stock good condition cars all day long for 6K if you look around.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:51 AM
On The Tree

I won't get butthurt, but I do feel that's an extremely low offer. I was thinking more in the $10-11K neighborhood myself. Thanks for your input though!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

mine not drop top. however 6 years ago I paid 8000 for mine with 55k on it. that was at a dealership too
Old 06-09-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would never ever pay that for a stockish fbody that isn't really low miles.. A lot of people do.. Its one reason ah prices have rose in the past two years.

That's 05-06 gto prices and the lower end of c5 pricing. Soon V1 ctsvs Will be in that range.

I wouldn't even consider that car for 10+. I looked into probably 25 cars. 2 were deals i considered.. One 01 with 80k on it with bolt ons for 6k.. And the other was the one i bought.. 99 ws6 with 90k miles 408 built trans full suspension rims etc.. For a touch over 8.
Deals are out there if you hold out.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lemons12
I would never ever pay that for a stockish fbody that isn't really low miles.. A lot of people do.. Its one reason ah prices have rose in the past two years.

That's 05-06 gto prices and the lower end of c5 pricing. Soon V1 ctsvs Will be in that range.

I wouldn't even consider that car for 10+. I looked into probably 25 cars. 2 were deals i considered.. One 01 with 80k on it with bolt ons for 6k.. And the other was the one i bought.. 99 ws6 with 90k miles 408 built trans full suspension rims etc.. For a touch over 8.
Deals are out there if you hold out.
If I owned the car the original posters talking about and you or anyone else offered me $7k for it id only have two words to say to them lol That's a 10k car all day long. I sold an 01 WS6 for $7500 over 3 years ago with 115k on the clock. Not everyone is willing to just give their **** away my friend.

Last edited by 18wheelsofsteel; 06-09-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 18wheelsofsteel
I owned owned the original posters car and you or anyone else offered me $7k for it id only have two words to say to them lol That's a 10k car all day long. I sold an 01 WS6 for $7500 over 3 years ago with 115k on the clock. Not everyone is willing to just give their **** away my friend.
And not everyone is willing to over pay for other peoples ****.

It goes both ways.

Will the car sell for 10K? Probably.. Should it? Absolutely not.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Teching In

And not everyone is willing to over pay for other peoples ****.

It goes both ways.

Will the car sell for 10K? Probably.. Should it? Absolutely not.
If 95% of 2001 Camaro SS' s with around 60k on the clock are selling for 10-12k then thats clearly what most people are willing to pay for them and defines the term "fair market value". You might get extremely lucky and get one for 7k but its because either the seller is completely desperate for immediate cash on the spot, or something is wrong with the car. Id be willing to bet that if you were selling the car yourself lemons youd have it listed for way more than 7k. With your logic my 02 WS6 with 20k miles is a $10k car then. Funny ive already been offered over $15k for it twice already. If your going to post in this section of the forum for pricing advice you should give accurate advice based on what a cars actually selling for 95% of the time and not your own personal lowball offer.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 18wheelsofsteel
If 95% of 2001 Camaro SS' s with around 60k on the clock are selling for 10-12k then thats clearly what most people are willing to pay for them and defines the term "fair market value". You might get extremely lucky and get one for 7k but its because either the seller is completely desperate for immediate cash on the spot, or something is wrong with the car. Id be willing to bet that if you were selling the car yourself lemons youd have it listed for way more than 7k. With your logic my 02 WS6 with 20k miles is a $10k car then. Funny ive already been offered over $15k for it twice already. If your going to post in this section of the forum for pricing advice you should give accurate advice based on what a cars actually selling for 95% of the time and not your own personal lowball offer.
God it is like a broken record.

I'm not listing imaginary low ball offers... You think I'm making up the deals I'm talking about?
If 3 years ago I can buy a 2000 TA in perfect shape with 69K miles that has H/C full stainless exhaust brand new tires, built trans, suspension, etc etc for 8500..
And two weeks ago I bought a 99 408 car with full suspension, built trans/etc with 90K on it... For 8300...

Why in the WORLD would you may 2K more for a stock car with just a little bit less miles? You would be out of your mind.

I can post up deal after deal... But you will just shoot them down with "They are on crack and need the cash to fund their habit" or "You are buying piles of ****". So be it... All I own is clean ****. You aren't the first person in the past few weeks I have talked to that asks ridiculous amounts for a stockish fbody car and/or over pays! Take it FWIW.. I'll keep on getting deals.

There are tons of good deals out there.. Just take your head out of your ***.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

$8500
Old 06-09-2013, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

How about my buddies 02 Ws6? 6 speed.. sunset orange metallic.. Black interior (like it came off the show room floor). Bought it with 23K on it.

Came with FAST 90/90... 224R cam... Full KOOKs stainless steel exhaust.. Fikse fm10s.. EWP.. Lowered/LCA/relo brackets...

I could go on but you get the idea, very tastefully modded car. All for a whopping 16K$.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

$7500 do your research. I just looked at a 49k 2002 ss for $8900
Old 06-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Teching In

How about my buddies 02 Ws6? 6 speed.. sunset orange metallic.. Black interior (like it came off the show room floor). Bought it with 23K on it.

Came with FAST 90/90... 224R cam... Full KOOKs stainless steel exhaust.. Fikse fm10s.. EWP.. Lowered/LCA/relo brackets...

I could go on but you get the idea, very tastefully modded car. All for a whopping 16K$.
That would sound like great price point on the WS6 if it weren't for the fact that its heavily modified. In the case of a low mileage SOM car that probably hurt the value. Your other 2000 TA with 69k sounds like a possibility too since it wasn't a WS6. The original post is talking about a relatively stock SS convertible. Those three factors alone raise the price. Also it seems like your one of the few buyers on the market who actually prefer a modded car over a stock one. Thats probably the contributing factor of why your getting deals. The simple fact is most buyers want a stock car and will even pay more for one.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Most buyers? You realize what forum you're on correct? Very few want a truly stock car because of what it is and plan on keeping it that way, very few.

Heavily modified.. 224 cam, kooks stainless exhaust, intake, rims... O hold me back, we got a drag car on our hands. You couldn't even hardly tell the car had a cam in it. Some pacesetters, ms4 cam, etc might have.. Not the mods it had though.
Lets not forget the 226 cam and the converter in the pewter car.

So the two people that have owned or looking to buy/sell this car thinks Its made of gold.. Everyone else agrees with me 7-8xk$ range.
I must be smoking that good ish. lol

The point is made what the car is worth without anybody getting ripped. Ill keep paying what cars are worth... You keep doing whatever it is you do... Im done.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Not sure where all you 'lowball' guys came from but you are way off base and talking about 'apples and oranges'. Mods drastically change a car's value and the type of buyer the car attracts. A convertible has an even different audience and are generally more expensive. If someone doesn't think an F-body is worth anything, that's their opinion but certainly not valid for many of the owners and future owners that appreciate these cars. This section is very important to both buyer's and sellers. This is no place for inaccuracies when so much money is involved.
18wheelsofsteel is quite accurate in his appraisal and even he is on the low side possibly. Without knowing more about the car that LS WON A4 is asking about, whether it is a clear title car, how many owners, needs, condition, etc... I would feel that the pricing guides are going to be quite accurate for a car like this even though they are unusually far apart for an '01 SS 'vert. In general, without knowing more, $11,000 would be a fair offer price that would not be considered 'lowball'. With KBB and NADA indicating pricing from $10,750 to $15,000 (in my zip code) there is a lot of room for negotiations and opinion. That's why we need to know so much more about each and every car, and every detail possible. If a one owner in truly excellent condition, 'stock', etc.. then the high end of the pricing scale is going to be quite close. If some issues and needs, especially with any Carfax problems (too many owners, accidents), then the lower end is going to be valid. Once the OP lets us know, we can assist further.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

So now 11K is on the low side... And 14-15K is more appropriate. I could sit here and pull up 30 cars to show you how off base you guys are but I honestly don't care enough.

CRACK COCAINE! One hell of a drug!

I just brought up personal experience... I can pull up the stock cars that would show how off base the 11-14K price is as well without an issue.

Your accuracy on the pricing is inaccurate to me... And my accuracy is inaccurate to you.
So... Like I said.. YOU pay 11-14K for this car.. And I'LL go find another car similar to this one for 3K cheaper.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Teching In

It really boils down to the fact that there are three kinds of buyers for these cars. The first kind is the kind of buyer that lemons12 is. He’s patient, knows exactly what he’s looking for, and will surely find it for what he’s willing to pay (I’m the same way and not to pat myself on the back but people marvel at what I pay for the cars I buy. A little bit of patience can save thousands). Then, there’s the guy/girl who does a little homework and doesn’t mind paying a little more than what they need to if it means getting it now. Then, there’s the third kind of buyer….the one the dealerships absolutely love. This person has cash, sees a car they just “gotta have” and pays what they need to in order to get it.

One of the main reasons many vehicles “appear” to be selling for more than they do is because the dealerships list them way high and then a private seller sees that and lists theirs for a couple grand less thinking they are being reasonable. Problem is, they are still 15%-25% higher than what MOST people are willing to spend or what a bank is willing to finance. Sure, there are some who will pay more than they probably should have but most of us who buy these cars know what we can get them for if we’re patient.

Also, I would pay more for a mildly modded car then I would for a stock car….unless it had really really low miles.

When it comes to vast majority of classic/muscle cars, the prices can vary substantially depending on multiple factors.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 95_Z_Twenty_Eight
It really boils down to the fact that there are three kinds of buyers for these cars. The first kind is the kind of buyer that lemons12 is. He’s patient, knows exactly what he’s looking for, and will surely find it for what he’s willing to pay (I’m the same way and not to pat myself on the back but people marvel at what I pay for the cars I buy. A little bit of patience can save thousands). Then, there’s the guy/girl who does a little homework and doesn’t mind paying a little more than what they need to if it means getting it now. Then, there’s the third kind of buyer….the one the dealerships absolutely love. This person has cash, sees a car they just “gotta have” and pays what they need to in order to get it.

One of the main reasons many vehicles “appear” to be selling for more than they do is because the dealerships list them way high and then a private seller sees that and lists theirs for a couple grand less thinking they are being reasonable. Problem is, they are still 15%-25% higher than what MOST people are willing to spend or what a bank is willing to finance. Sure, there are some who will pay more than they probably should have but most of us who buy these cars know what we can get them for if we’re patient.

Also, I would pay more for a mildly modded car then I would for a stock car….unless it had really really low miles.

When it comes to vast majority of classic/muscle cars, the prices can vary substantially depending on multiple factors.
BOOM...
Old 06-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Not sure where all you 'lowball' guys came from but you are way off base and talking about 'apples and oranges'. Mods drastically change a car's value and the type of buyer the car attracts. A convertible has an even different audience and are generally more expensive. If someone doesn't think an F-body is worth anything, that's their opinion but certainly not valid for many of the owners and future owners that appreciate these cars. This section is very important to both buyer's and sellers. This is no place for inaccuracies when so much money is involved.
18wheelsofsteel is quite accurate in his appraisal and even he is on the low side possibly. Without knowing more about the car that LS WON A4 is asking about, whether it is a clear title car, how many owners, needs, condition, etc... I would feel that the pricing guides are going to be quite accurate for a car like this even though they are unusually far apart for an '01 SS 'vert. In general, without knowing more, $11,000 would be a fair offer price that would not be considered 'lowball'. With KBB and NADA indicating pricing from $10,750 to $15,000 (in my zip code) there is a lot of room for negotiations and opinion. That's why we need to know so much more about each and every car, and every detail possible. If a one owner in truly excellent condition, 'stock', etc.. then the high end of the pricing scale is going to be quite close. If some issues and needs, especially with any Carfax problems (too many owners, accidents), then the lower end is going to be valid. Once the OP lets us know, we can assist further.
BOOM......

Quick Reply: What's a truly fair offer?