PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car runs rich at idle and lean on the road

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car runs rich at idle and lean on the road

Newbie here and need some advice. I have an LS1 ws6 with ls1 hotcam, procharger 6lbs, exhaust, 255 walboro, and 60 pound injectors. The car runs horribly! Cold starts fine but tries to stall on a hot start. It also tries to stall when I'm backing up unless I brake/gas it. It runs pretty rich at an idle but under a load (not WOT) it runs lean. I just got but have not put on yet a wideband. A friend told me it could be TPS or the stock fuel regulator causing the issues. I think it's just a bad tune as others have complained about the same place. What do you all think?
Old 06-09-2013, 03:29 PM

Bumped
Old 06-10-2013, 10:49 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm guessing it has to do with the 60lb injectors and min pulse width. There's a couple good threads on HPtuners.com discussing it. I know I had to change some values to get it to idle correctly.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Have you changed anything in the tune since doing all these conversions????

If not, then it is 100% to do with the tune. Right out the gate your injectors are wrong and that will make it run very poorly. Also, what some people perceive as running rich may actually be that it is running lean. Get that wideband up and working properly. That will at least give you a place to start.

Dave
Old 06-10-2013, 04:56 PM

All of the mods were done prior to the tune that's why I am thinking the tune is just garbage. Everyone tells me the car runs bad (and it does) but they all have a different theory as to why and none of them run LS1's that's why I wanted to check here first. I'll get the wide band on and check out hp tuners. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You cannot run 60lb injectors or any injector other than stock without the proper information input to the PCM. As long as you have a tuning program (hptuners/efilive) you can tune cruising and idle with the stock NB O2 sensors. Once you get into power/boost enrichment the WB becomes necessary. STFT and LTFT are your friends.

With all those mods it is most likely that your car REALLY needs to be tuned. I'd start by making sure you are running at least a 2bar SD tune(inc associated 2bar map). Gets you to 14.7 PSI. Many will run a 2.5bar GM MAP sensor from the cobalts I think.

Quick Reply: Car runs rich at idle and lean on the road