Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Budget build reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Budget build reccomendations

Im building a 5.3L for my daily driver 72 Suburban. Ive got a 2002-2004 LS6 cam and Im going to send the stock heads to TEA for a little clean up, but nothing radical.

My question is, what would you guys recommend for a budget carb/intake/ignition controller set up?

I was looking at the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake with the MSD box and a 750 cfm carb. Any thoughts?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The performer rpm is awesome for a dd vehicle not looking to scream at peak power. The 750 might be a little bigger than ideal on a stock 5.3 but with the heads worked a little it might help it out some. The msd box is the only one I'd ever use for a carbed application.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cool, thanks
Old 06-14-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im running a Demon 750 on my totally stock 5.3 and it runs fine so far. 600 miles since swap. Perfecting the carb tune is taking a little work but my learning curve is part of that. I had to go to a #28 squirter on the primary, but the #31 seems to work well on the secondary. I bet that 5.3 and 750 will love the LS6 cam and head work. That is pretty much exactly what I plan to do to my 5.3. Power on a budget!

I would suggest you also step up to the matching LS6 springs. The stock truck springs supposedly start to float at 5700ish with higher then stock lift. And they are only $60. And since you are in there might as well put on a HD timing set (there is a guy that sells them cheap in the classified section) Also check out your oil pump and replace if necessary. It would be a shame to garf a nice little runner cause of of failing pump!

BTW, give us some more pick of the beautiful suburban! My other ride is an 03' Yukon XL which I love, but I want to rock an old suburban like that one day. The Wife even OK'd it!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bigger carb will run fine, but it will be less than ideal for his application and will also be harder to get the tune right. If it were me, I'd go with a 650 if ya had no plans to ever go bigger. But I agree with the springs, timing set and oil pump. I'd go for a stock timing set (ls6 maybe?) I bought one from the group classifieds seller and it didn't fit without modification to the cam sprocket and the chain seemed looser than I was completely happy with. Since the heads are off and your goon that far ya might as well do ls7 lifters with new trays, and push rods.... But then you start blowin away from any budget. That's what happened to me and now I got a 450+ whp gmc s15 when all I wanted was a budget engine. Lol gets outta hand quickly
Old 06-14-2013, 06:49 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I would do a 650 double pumper or a 750 vacuum secondary. Either will work great. Performer rpm and a 6010 is the way to go with no can and converter to start power above 3000 rpm.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 89gmcs15
The bigger carb will run fine, but it will be less than ideal for his application and will also be harder to get the tune right. If it were me, I'd go with a 650 if ya had no plans to ever go bigger. But I agree with the springs, timing set and oil pump. I'd go for a stock timing set (ls6 maybe?) I bought one from the group classifieds seller and it didn't fit without modification to the cam sprocket and the chain seemed looser than I was completely happy with. Since the heads are off and your goon that far ya might as well do ls7 lifters with new trays, and push rods.... But then you start blowin away from any budget. That's what happened to me and now I got a 450+ whp gmc s15 when all I wanted was a budget engine. Lol gets outta hand quickly
Yea, I essentially have the entire (30,000 mile) top end of the LS6 from my 2003 Z06. When I started upgrading everything on that, I saved the oil pump, timing chain, lifters, lifter trays, chromemoly 7.4 pushrods, LS6 springs, LS6 cam, etc. with the intention of building a budget, carbed 5.3 at some point. The only thing I need to purchase is the Comp trunion upgrade and I should be good for another 100,000 miles as the 5.3 Im using only has 86,xxx on it to begin with.

I actually purchased this suburban specifically because I wanted something cool and old school with an LS in it as a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Budget build reccomendations