Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

left bank hot - right bank cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default left bank hot - right bank cold

I'm getting my head/cam LS1 back running after installing a Fast 102 intake and a 102 TB. Trying to iron out bugs before a dyno tune.

I mentioned in another thread and put a video of it running (lean) and popping through the exhaust at idle. Made a temporary correction by slotting the TPS and forcing it rich so it would idle and I could re-charge the a/c...etc.

Now - just took a temp scan. Headers on the right side are running around 200 degrees. Headers on the left side are at and over 500. I took a scan on the O2 Sensor and found O2S11 @ average of .850 and 02S21 @ average of 200. Both are cycling within a close range of those numbers.

The only other mod was moving the coils to the back of the heads and running new wires. I took note of the coil wire harness location and duplicated it on the move.

So...thoughts? Engine is in a 1969 Camaro with a 1998 LS computer and A4 trans. Previously tuned at SpeedInc on the stock intake.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to bet that you have a plug wire or coil wiring crossed somewhere. That's why it's popping through the exhaust and running different temps bank to bank! I would try hooking the coils back up the way they come from the factory and see if the the issue a resolved.... I'm gonna bet they disappear!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Launching!

I'm not going to rule that out Except I can't put the coils back on factory as there is no way to hang them and get the stock plug wire to reach with the new valve covers.

I marked the wire harness on the coil bracket for each cylinder in order. Then took it off the coil bracket and then plugged them in the new coil bracket on the back of the heads. I may have mixed it up as anything is possible.

How can I check the coil wire harness by color to make sure I didn't mix them up? Also I didn't mix anything from left to right. In fact I didn't have to replace the coil harness as my relocation is not as extreme as most.

Also when I tweak the tps to trick it rich the pop goes away. But the engine continues to run a bit rough.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thepitstop2010
I'm going to bet that you have a plug wire or coil wiring crossed somewhere. That's why it's popping through the exhaust and running different temps bank to bank! I would try hooking the coils back up the way they come from the factory and see if the the issue a resolved.... I'm gonna bet they disappear!
Ding ding ding! That was it. I feel like a dope, but it happens to the best of us. I'm not making any excuses except I MESSED UP. All is good now. This thread can drift off to oblivion.

Quick Reply: left bank hot - right bank cold