Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster, spec or what??

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster, spec or what??

I am in the market for a clutch and flywheel setup and have some questions. I am rebuilding my top end and plan to make somewhere between 470-480 rwhp and 430ish rwtq maybe more. Anyway what brand and what level should I be considering?? I was thinking monster single disc level 3. But the level 2 monster is rated higher in HP than I plan on making...Even once I put my new top end on an LS3 shortblock I hope to make 500-515 rwhp. So I wana plan for the future also. I was looking at spec and they are priced nicely. But are they any good? Btw, my car is street/strip. I go to the track a few times in the summer and I try to launch somewhat hard. So will the monster level 2 handle some hard launches?

I need some serious advice on what clutch to go with. I plan on staying with single disc be ause of price And I dont think a twin or triple will be necessary.

And what other parts will I NEED for the install? Are there related parts I have to upgrade? Thanks for all your help. I'm new to aftermarket clutches. I just want a reasonable price clutch that will handle 470-515ish rwhp and will work well at the strip as well.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

ill get a mcleod twin disk clutch (RST/RXT) before i get the monster stage 3. i have there stage 3 and not a fan of its street matters but everyone is different. just my .02

Scoggin Dickey has killer deals on the mcleod clutches.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
ill get a mcleod twin disk clutch (RST/RXT) before i get the monster stage 3. i have there stage 3 and not a fan of its street matters but everyone is different. just my .02

Seems like a pretty consistent statement from people who have it. I would also vote for the RXT, itll handle whatever you throw at it especially at the track and itll drive like stock around town.

I also wouldnt rule out the LS7 clutch if your on a budget. They take a lot of abuse.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much would a mcleod twin disk clutch run? I have a stage 2 monster that drives great in the city. If you can afford a twin disk, then thats your best choice though. If not, call snlperformance to see what will suite you best.

As for other parts, it depends on what parts you want to replace. Its expensive/complicated to replace the clutch, so might aswell replace what you can while youre at it.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the price on the monster level 2-3 don't really wana spend more
Old 06-26-2013, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zlow28
How much would a mcleod twin disk clutch run? I have a stage 2 monster that drives great in the city. If you can afford a twin disk, then thats your best choice though. If not, call snlperformance to see what will suite you best.

As for other parts, it depends on what parts you want to replace. Its expensive/complicated to replace the clutch, so might aswell replace what you can while youre at it.
theres a big diff in the stage 2 and 3 (not referring to the price lol)

Scoggin Dickey quoted me a price VERY close to the monster price on the mcleod clutch (not saying if its more or less) PM him and you will see.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

theres a big diff in the stage 2 and 3 (not referring to the price lol)

Scoggin Dickey quoted me a price VERY close to the monster price on the mcleod clutch (not saying if its more or less) PM him and you will see.
I heard the same thing, something about being ceramic or something like that. i forgot exactly what the difference was. from what i understand, stage 1 and 2 are great for DD, but a stage 3 and up, it gets more challenging.

If i couldve gotten a mcleod clutch for close to a monster price, i wouldve taken that instead. But i got my monster clutch on sale for a good price by tick too lol
Old 06-26-2013, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I heard the same thing, something about being ceramic or something like that. i forgot exactly what the difference was. from what i understand, stage 1 and 2 are great for DD, but a stage 3 and up, it gets more challenging.
thats putting it nicely lol lets just say i wanted to drive my car into a brick wall at 150mph lol
Old 06-26-2013, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

thats putting it nicely lol lets just say i wanted to drive my car into a brick wall at 150mph lol
ive never driven a stage 3+ didnt know how to write it down. Thanks or clarifying it
Old 06-26-2013, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive never driven a stage 3+ didnt know how to write it down. Thanks or clarifying it
anytime
Old 06-26-2013, 01:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so, what I'm hearing is that a need a mccleod clutch? What about a monster level 2? Will it hold up to what I'm about to be throwing at it? What about when my power level moves up to 500rw or so? Will the level 2 hold up at the strip? What about some lower level McLeod clutches? I found some on eBay that are as low as 720$
Old 06-26-2013, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02sslayer
Ok so, what I'm hearing is that a need a mccleod clutch? What about a monster level 2? Will it hold up to what I'm about to be throwing at it? What about when my power level moves up to 500rw or so? Will the level 2 hold up at the strip? What about some lower level McLeod clutches? I found some on eBay that are as low as 720$
You can get the twin for that and cheaper lol You know who to PM

I never had a monster stage 2 so I cant say how they are for track use but power wise it will handle 500
Old 06-26-2013, 03:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can get the twin for that and cheaper lol You know who to PM

I never had a monster stage 2 so I cant say how they are for track use but power wise it will handle 500
Cool thanks for the info guys. I don't think Im going with the monster 3.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing to note is that the McLeod are cheap because they do NOT include a flywheel.

The Monster and other brand singles usually include a flywheel for the $7-800 range. Twins with a flywheel usually start at 1k.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

The McLeod is make to work with stock flywheel. Even can use the monster flywheel. Me and Scoggin Dickey talked about this already.

Have the stock one resurface and then have the clutch and flywheel balanced together
Old 06-26-2013, 05:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Another vote for Mcleod RXT. I'm loving mine. Can't beat on it yet, but it feels great driving around town.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:30 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

I don't know about the Mcleod because I never had one. I know a twin disc setup would be better but I don't know about the pricing.

While my car was a M6 I put the Monster Stage 2 in it. Daily driving was great and it had no problem handling my hp with the 125 shot on it. Never slipped a bit and even when I sold it because of the A4 swap the disc, pp and flywheel were in great shape. I beat on it too. My car isn't a garage queen either. GET A TICK M/C!!! Makes it 5 times better!! The guys at Monster are really good about answering questions and will give you great advise and customer service.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MFJ
I don't know about the Mcleod because I never had one. I know a twin disc setup would be better but I don't know about the pricing.

While my car was a M6 I put the Monster Stage 2 in it. Daily driving was great and it had no problem handling my hp with the 125 shot on it. Never slipped a bit and even when I sold it because of the A4 swap the disc, pp and flywheel were in great shape. I beat on it too. My car isn't a garage queen either. GET A TICK M/C!!! Makes it 5 times better!! The guys at Monster are really good about answering questions and will give you great advise and customer service.
Sounds promising. Pm sent
Old 06-26-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's bullshit. It's a good feeling clutch, firm (if you don't have little girly legs this isn't a problem), and grabs great. It doesn't like to be slipped, starting out can be funny sometimes, but other than that it has been great so far. Time will tell how it changes but probably 2-3k on it now and it has been great (maybe more).
Old 06-26-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

I have a monster stage 3 and I do not think it is bad on the street with the heavy flywheel. I had the lightweight flywheel on it originally and it was pita. The heavy flywheel fixed a lot of my complaints.

Side note monster has AMAZING customer service. They stand by their clutch 100% and in my experience took great lengths to make me a satisfied customer.

Quick Reply: Monster, spec or what??