Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

need help with subwoofer setup they wont power on

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default need help with subwoofer setup they wont power on

so a little background i used to have a 01 camaro and my setup in that car was a audiobahn a2002J amp and a rockford fosgate P2 dual voice coil 10" sub. before selling that car i pulled the amp and sub and now i have a trans am and i installed the exact same setup, and wired it the exact same way i did on the camaro and even used the same exact grounding location ( bolt protruding into the truck well where the t-top holders used to fasten to.) and my system doesnt work. the trans am used to have a monsoon headunit which i removed and replaced with a nice JVC unit and i ran the remote amp wire correctly. the proctection mode was set on my audiobahn amp and the light would extinguish when i pulled the rca's off the amp, then re-ignite once i connected them again but the amp never powered on and led me to beleive the amp had gone bad sitting in my garage for a year or so after i sold the camaro. so i replaced the amp with a planet audio 1500 amp brand new and nothing, no lights set on the amp and it wont even power on. and ideas or suggestions? i checked to see if it was something dumb like subwoofer being turned off on the headunit and its on.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First double check power line, and try a diff ground. Mine was the ground. Went to bolt that holds rear seatbelt mount. Now perfect
Old 06-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the power and remote wire using a multimeter...if those check out then make sure the ground is solid and that there is no paint between the conducting surfaces.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the fuses, connections, and remote wire...if you r gona ground anything to the body, make sure u sand it down so its bare metal...
Old 07-15-2013, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Planet Audio amp may have a blown fuse or even be bad.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The protection mode light usually means one of two things - the impedance to the speaker(s) is too low or the input signal is too strong. Input signal strength can be adjusted using the gain or input sensitivity control... you can try turning it way down and see if that solves the problem. The fact that the same thing happens with another amp means it is unlikely to be an adjustment on the amp... I suspect you have a short in your speaker wires or you have them incorrectly bridged.

Quick Reply: need help with subwoofer setup they wont power on