Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tweeters still powered after HU replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 12:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tweeters still powered after HU replacement?

Reading here I've gathered that the tweeters in my 2000 Trans AM with Monsoon may no longer be powered now that I have replaced my HU since they were powered by the Monsoon HU?

The connector kit that came with didn't include a spot for one of the plugs that was going to the factory HU, and lending to my suspicions. All 4 speaker outputs from the new deck are feeding, but are they only going to the amp and not the tweeter?

If this is the case what are others doing about it?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

No, the tweeters will still work after replacing the head unit. The tweeter feed is split off the wiring from the HU before the amp so they don't get amplified signal but they do get the same signal as sent to the amp.

The extra connector is for the factory CD changer. Monsoon systems have the changer harness and connector even if they didn't come with the optional changer. It isn't provided with harness kits because the factory changer won't work with any brand of aftermarket HU.

Quick Reply: Tweeters still powered after HU replacement?