Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Clutch issues, trouble getting into gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issues, trouble getting into gear

I had my master cylinder replaced, and clutch bled while having my engine rebuilt. Spec 3 clutch.

The clutch enagages really close to the floor, but shifted fine for a couple weeks.
Now it's like it locks me out of gears every now and then. With the car off, it goes through gears fine, and randomly it shifts fine for a day or 2, then the problem arises again. Any ideas what's causing this?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might want to have the clutch bled again.

Intermittent problems are usually air in the line.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A clear sign that you have air in the lines is a shifting problem that gets worse as the car gets hotter. Radiant heat from your engine and exhaust (which runs parallel with the clutch lines) will transfer energy into any air bubbles in the line and cause them to expand.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:11 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SPEC clutches are notorious for this, many many shops have been screwed over by Spec as their product simply does not work in our application. Every Spec that has ever been installed in a V1 (that I have known about) has been pulled with less than 5k miles for this exact reason and the replacement (everything from Monster to LS7) performed flawlessly with the existing hydraulics.

BTW - I have never heard of Spec making good on their shitty product for anyone...ever. They blame everything from the hydraulics to the installer, even after the replacement performs flawlessly. A few big name people started threads about this exact problem in this section a few years back.

I would toss the Spec and get an LS7, honestly. The Spec will hang, drag, or not release (the non-release issue is usually at higher RPM's) causing significant wear to the trans internally.

Here's a thread that discusses this same problem: https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...c-monster.html

Last edited by DMM; 07-06-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have a spec clutch that was built before june 2010 if i recall then you are ok but they changed the pressure plate a bit which basically renders it unuseable in a V1. If you search for some of my older threads you can see the many month issue I and many others had.

Their twin disk units seems to not have the same issue due to not having as stiff of a pressure plate i assume.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also understand how much this sucks due to the shitty process involved in pulling out the trans from this car. I had to do it many times already. never happy any of the times.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh, that sucks hearing about the Specs.. It was installed in 2011 by the previous owner. It has never been great, but after being re-bled its almost gotten worse.

I may take it back one more time and see if there is air in the lines or somethinh, and if its still as big a pain to drive, I'll look into swapping it.

It basically refuses to go into reverse now.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are a lot of complaints on the internet about this brand.

Quick Reply: Clutch issues, trouble getting into gear