Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maf tuning help- Im stumped

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default maf tuning help- Im stumped

Alright guys, Im coming here because I think every v6 tuner has fallen off the face of the earth. I can't seem to get anywhere with this and I am stumped. Since maf tuning for both the v8 and v6 is similar, and there are a lot of experts here, maybe someone can give me a hand.

Car-1996 camaro (97 pcm) 3.8L v6- Heads/cam car/36# injectors- big cam 230/240 duration. The car also has an LT1 MAF sensor

Currently I have the car tuned with a VE based tune and it runs beautifully- I'd like to bring the car back to a MAF based tune but I am running into a huge snag in getting the car to idle.

To start, car idles but when you go to move forward on light/any throttle and then go to come to a stop, the car chokes out and dies and I can't figure out why. Flash back to the VE tune and this issue goes away.

So I have been playing around with a few things today and this is what I have found:

The car dies when you go forward even under 1-4% light throttle then hit the brake to stop. At this point the rpms dip down and the car chokes out and dies.
- The car does this regardless of being in open/closed loop
- idle maf calibration is now no more than 6% off in the relative HZ columns for maf calibration
- I dont believe AFR/rich/lean conditions to be the cause of the issue- in the scan I have you will see at the moment the car dies, afr is as follows: 1054rpm- 13.99afr; 864 rpm- 14.11afr; 702rpm- 14.14afr; 604rpm- 14.08afr; 527rpm - 14.42afr; 431rpm- 14.94 afr and all the way down to 233rpm is at 14.64 afr.
- the car is set to idle at 1025rpm

So it's not a case of the car being wayy too lean or too rich when it is choking out...so what's the issue here? Like I said, I flash my VE tune back in and the car runs beautifully with the exception of the voltage dip I get while coming to a stop (which also happens with teh maf tune) but has been happening forever and is common.

whats the deal here guys? Im beyond stumped. I even tried making the voltage offset 1.0000 across the board like I have seen with other 36# injectors- Nothing.

I've now posted my new updated tune, scan and cfg file on hp tuners

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...567#post328567

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out
Old 07-06-2013, 06:09 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The "V6 tuners" you know of possibly went silent when they saw your parts combination. :-)

Have you corrected your MAF table, with the LT1 grams per second values vs frequency?
Old 07-07-2013, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
The "V6 tuners" you know of possibly went silent when they saw your parts combination. :-)

Have you corrected your MAF table, with the LT1 grams per second values vs frequency?
maybe lol...my setup isn't that radical, slightly bigger than most.

I was using a stock v6 maf table and I tried one from my old cam that I had calibrated with no luck, didnt think of putting in a v8 table as I figured a few quick changes with the right values would put me close.

Problem is now solved, but I am still kinda puzzled as to how/why

Apparently, you can't take your lowest value that you scan (so for me 2500hz or so) and paste that number into all the cells before that one. They have to taper down to much lower numbers.

I always remember taking that smallest number and pasting it across- oh well. What still puzzles me is on my latest scans I had a near perfect 14.xx afr the whole time the car choked out and died, so why those smaller numbers should make a difference I have no idea?

Quick Reply: maf tuning help- Im stumped