Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster Stage 2 Slipping, Is it me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Stage 2 Slipping, Is it me?

Hey everyone, I first want to say that after about 3-4K miles on my Monster Stage 2, I absolutely love it and have had zero problems. To anyone having "chatter" issues at first, it really does go away as long as you do what you're supposed to. Heh.

Anyway, I was out doing some data logging since I finally got my WB02 sensor and as such I was covering a wide range of values and conditions. At one point I couldn't resist launching the car at a red light (it was green when I launched it, don't worry! heh). I dumped the clutch after revving to right around 4500rpm and the clutch just slipped horribly almost halfway through first gear. At first I thought it was the tires slipping but then I smelled the horrendous telltale clutch smell.

I was very concerned at first that there was a problem but then I started doing some math in my head and thought that maybe I'm just expecting more from the clutch than it is designed for. I have NEVER had it down the strip since I installed the clutch and I have done some stoplight style launches, but its usually just from a roll.

To give the most accurate picture I have stock auto style gears (3.23), a torquer V2 cam, headers, catback, UD pulley, ported TB and MT ET streets at 24psi. Given that I MIGHT be at 500hp at the crank but more than likely i'm at 465-475ish. The Monster 2 is rated at 525 at the crank and they specifically say "mostly for roll racing and occasional track runs".

My question (yes there is one in here somewhere) is: at what rpm is it safe (smart) to launch this reliably? And given all the info I gave, does it sound like the clutch is doing what it's supposed to? I doubt it matters, but it was a pretty hot day (90+ degrees).

Thanks a lot to anyone that can lend a hand or...ear...I guess.

B
Old 07-08-2013, 12:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sticky tires and horrible gearing really puts a strain on the clutch. First things first though, check for leaks and the adjustment on the master to ensure the clutch is getting full clamp. Feel free to give me a call as it'd probably be easier to explain over the phone if you're not sure. Chris, 817-750-2000

Quick Reply: Monster Stage 2 Slipping, Is it me?