Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

No oil pressure at startup. Then fine. WTH.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default No oil pressure at startup. Then fine. WTH.

First off this is a LC9 V8 in my 08 Chevy Avalanche. It is an 5.3L iron block LS like engine with active fuel management (turns off 4 cylinders under light load).

I have applied for a login on the Avalanche boards but I am waiting for approval but I think you guys might be able to speak to it just as well. On to my issue.

My engine was off for about an hour and when I went to start it, the dinger went nuts and said low oil pressure and to turn the engine off which I did. I then restarted it and noticed the lifters were ticking from bleed down therefore the panic kicked in and I shut it off once again. BTW, oil level is fine.

I then waited a few minutes and tried once more and the oil pressure came up and the engine ran fine.

I clearly believe the pressure was low or NON-existent cause of the ticking lifters so I don't believe it is sender or gauge related so something wigged out in the oil system.

Thoughts???
Thanks.
Bill
Old 07-20-2013, 06:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil pump kaput! Get a melling.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by litle88
Oil pump kaput! Get a melling.
Is this a typical failure?
Old 07-20-2013, 07:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes the GM pumps suck, the valve relief will stick due to the materials the pump is made if. Get a melling 10296 and leave the lower pressure sping in it. I just hope your lifters and cam are ok.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by litle88
Yes the GM pumps suck, the valve relief will stick due to the materials the pump is made if. Get a melling 10296 and leave the lower pressure sping in it. I just hope your lifters and cam are ok.
I think the cam and lifters are ok. The pressure seems normal and I had to drive it about 100 miles after it happened and there were no strange behaviors or noises.

Am I correct in saying the 10296 is the high volume pump? Knowing what I know about SBC and LT1, there might not be a need for extra pressure. Should I use the M295 standard pressure instead since the overall pressure is normal, except for the one incident?
Old 07-21-2013, 04:57 AM
TECH Addict

I'd try replacing the oil filter before opening up the engine for surgery. A defective anti-drainback valve (round rubber/silicone disc inside the top of the filter canister) can allow the oil circuit to empty back into the pan after shutdown and take a long time to refill and generate pressure.

Just grab a good brand that's convenient...Purolator or Wix...and fill it up w/ oil before installing it. Worth a shot.

Quick Reply: No oil pressure at startup. Then fine. WTH.